Dark Days

After a few hours Annabelle had been dismissed. After Arthur had left the room Mr Shelby's mood had deteriorated and he didn't want her to see him sink lower into the whiskey bottle.

Annabelle had struggled to sleep; her thoughts straying to the man downstairs and she hated herself for caring about him. A cruel man that had made her life difficult didn't deserve her compassion but she extended it to him nevertheless.

A few mere hours later she heard a crash on the stairs and she flinched awake. Sitting up she listened closely

"Ah fuck" she heard a familiar voice hiss followed by another loud bang.

Quickly scrambling out of her bed she rushed to the door and pulled it open.

As soon as his eyes landed on her he was enraged once again "Go to bed!" He slurred as he leaned up against his elbows, trying to stand up. His usual slick hair was flopping in front of his eyes, his shirt was only done by a few buttons and his lips where pink from the alcohol.

"Sir, let me help" and she quickly leaned down to grab his hand, ignoring the spilt bottle of whiskey between them as it soaked into her bare feet. As soon as her soft hand touched his he pulled away, the shock of her skin electrocuting him, his backhand slapping across her cheek.

Annabelle stood up in shock as she clutched her cheek, hot tears springing to her eyes as the pain radiated in her face.

"Shit" he breathed as he began to sober up, scrambling to stand up but his feet where still drunk.

"It's fine" she whispered as she stood back, ignoring his startled stare as she retreated back into her bedroom. Carefully and quietly she locked the door from the inside, hoping he wouldn't hear.

——

As everyone stood around the small grave the rain drizzled down on them. George was holding a umbrella over them both and she was grateful. No one would be able to see the red mark across her left cheek, especially him.

"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed"

Annabelle sighed as the coffin was slowly eased into the ground, a few tears drizzling down her cheek as she remembered the woman that was being laid to rest.

Looking up, across the open ground she saw him staring back at her, trying to catch her eye but she carefully looked away.

Once the funeral was over everyone was to return to arrow house. Annabelle kept by Georges side and used him as a distraction so that she was never alone.

As soon as they where alone George had dragged her into the dining room, his eyes wide as he finally took in the bruise on her cheek.

"Oh Anna" he breathed as he lifted his hand which in turn made her flinch and pull away "What happened?" He breathed as he pulled his hand away.

"I fell" she lied "I slipped getting out of the bath" she clarified as she gently touched her cheek hoping it wasn't looking so bad.

George scowled at her for lying "Don't lie Anna, I can see the finger marks across your cheek"

Anna rolled her eyes as she tried to make light of the situation "It's nothing honestly"

"What did you do?" He asked as he eyed the door quickly

"Nothing, I didn't do anything" she hissed, completely taken aback by his insinuation.

"Annabelle!?" She heard from the door "Are you in there?" She heard Polly Grey call.