Chapter 26

Kira sat up in bed and looked over at Zuko who was asleep. She stood up and wore a cloak over her nightgown. She glances at Zuko before grabbing a lantern and heading out. Zuko opened his eyes, he was awake the whole time. He immediately puts on his cloak and followed her in secret.

Kira entered the prison Iroh was in. Zuko stood out of the door and listened in.

"Why did you say that to me?" Kira asks "You know well that I've already made my decision"

"but it's not the right one" Iroh replies "I am simply trying to put you down the right path. Kira, your father did not die in war, he was taken to prison"

"That's a lie" Kira crosses her arms "everyone knows my father died during the siege of Ba Sing Se"

"He did not" Iroh argues "I was there, he turned on us and attacked. He had a plan all set that took out more then half our army, Lu Ten died because your father's rebellion. In the begging he only begged for his life and joined us so he could take down the fire nation. You were born because in a moment of weakness your father fell for a fire nation beauty, born from both the fire nation and the air nation"

"Because destiny had plans for me, that's why I was born" Kira says "only the avatar can bend all elements, yeah right, well so can I and I'm no avatar"

"Kira their is a reason for everything" Iroh says and looks at her "only together with you can the avatar end this war"

Kira laughs "this is all a funny joke uncle, my mother died in child birth and my father died in war. I am the fire nation's princess, that's who I am and that's all I'll ever be. This war will only end in the fire nation's victory and I'll be on the winning side while you can sit in jail until the end"

Iroh looks concerned "Kira-"

"goodbye Uncle" Kira turns, Zuko quickly hides as Kira exits the room and leaves the prison

-

The next day, Zuko and Kira are relaxing on a couch.

"Tell me, if you could have anything you want right now, what would it be?" Zuko asks

"hmm" Kira lays her head on him "maybe.. a kid?"

Zuko's face turns red

Kira chuckles "not yet, I'm just joking"

"I-I'm not against it" Zuko says covering his face "just-"

"Not with the war happening" Kira pokes his nose "when everything's over, then I'll be ready"

Zuko hugs her "when the time is right it'll happen"

Kira sighs "There's some nice perks that come with being royalty. Though there's annoying stuff, too. Like that all-day war meeting coming up"

Zuko sits up "War meeting? What are you talking about?"

"Azula told me to come to a war meeting" Kira replies "I assumed you were going.. too"

"I guess I wasn't invited" Zuko says sadly

-

Zuko is looking out a window. Kira comes up to him.

"Zuko, it's just a dumb meeting" Kira comforts him "who cares?"

"I don't" Zuko replies

"Well, good. You shouldn't. I mean, why would you even want to go? Just think about how things went the last meeting we went to when we were kids" Kira says

Zuko sighs "I know"

Kira whines knowing she's not helping "Oh you know what will make you feel better?" Zuko turns his head slightly "I mean we're not trying for kids yet but it's been a week since we last had some intimacy as a couple"

"Sorry" Zuko sighs "I've just been thinking a lot"

Kira turns Zuko's face to look at her, but he quickly looks away, making Kira let go of him.

Kira sighs "I'll see you later"

Zuko turns to watch Kira walk away

-

Zuko is lying down on the arm of the couch

Someone calls for him "Prince Zuko" the servant bows before the prince "everyone's waiting for you"

Zuko walks over to the servant to see what he's talking about "What?"

"The high admirals, the high generals, the war ministers, and both princess Azula and your wife Princess Kira have all arrived. You're the only person missing" the servant informs him

"So, my dad wants me at the meeting?" Zuko questions surprised

"The Fire Lord said he would not start until you arrived, sir" the servant replies

-

Zuko and Kira exit the meeting together.

Zuko looks at her "When I got to the meeting, everyone welcomed me... My father saved me a seat. He wanted me next to him. I was literally at his right hand"

"Of course" Kira says "you must be happy husband"

"But" Zuko stops and held her hand "During the meeting, I was the perfect prince. The son my father wanted... but I wasn't me"

"What do you mean?" Kira asks

"I acted how I was supposed to" Zuko tells her and looks away "not how I wanted to, I never said anything I actually wanted"

Kira lets go of his hand "but..."

Zuko looks at her "Kira I don't think I-"

"Don't!" Kira shouts and Zuko looks at her surprised, she clenches her fist "don't say it"

Kira runs away

"Kira!" Zuko calls out to her worried, but he didn't move. He looked down "...I'm sorry"