CHAPTER TWENTY

A/N- RIP Chadwick Boseman😓😓
In line with the travails happening in the world today, it's taught me that death is inevitable and we should live our lives well so that we can leave a good legacy behind. So people can remember us for the amazing people we once were.

That aside, a new update.
Enjoy 🥂

Two weeks after Mason and I got back from our trip. I've spent my time in between school hours and visiting the hospital for different check ups to confirm if I'm still eligible for the surgery. Just yesterday, the team of doctors confirmed that they can give my case a trial.
My surgery was scheduled for Thursday. I didn't tell my parents about the whole hospital visits 'cause I didn't want to build their hopes up, only for us to be told that I can't be operated on any longer.
I decided to tell them today since it was confirmed yesterday that I can be operated on. So, I decided to tell them during dinner.

"So, mom and dad," I called them to have their attention, they stopped eating and glanced up at me, "I have decided to do the surgery. I've also been scheduled to be operated on Thursday and before you both have my head for not telling you before the surgery was scheduled, I didn't know I will still be eligible to be operated on." I finished.

Mom had an elated look on her face like 'Finally! She's doing the surgery.'
I decided to burst her bubble a bit by being honest. I didn't want her hopes to be dashed if the surgery doesn't go well.
"Mom before you get overly excited or anything, remember the surgery only has one percent success rate and even after that, during chemotherapy, something can go wrong." I saw the light dim in my mom's eyes but I knew I did the right thing. I don't want her to be too disappointed if I don't make it.

My dad cleared his throat. My dad unlike my mom masks his emotions well.
"We're happy you have taken this decision personally and anything that happens during the surgery and the treatment, we'll take it as the will of God." He smiled sadly.

I smiled back as we held our hands together as a family. I knew my Mom was going to tell my brother.
I decided to tell Mason this night when he comes over. We all know that he never sleeps. When he came over and I told him, he pulled me into a tight hug.

"I can't believe that you are finally doing the surgery. I'm so glad." He smiled radiantly. This is Mason's real smile in weeks.
"But you know..." I was saying when he interjected, "I know... I know. It's not certain. It may most certainly flop, don't get my hopes up and all that stuff you've been saying. I'm just glad you have a ray of hope, don't ruin it please."

"You're such a big baby. Don't worry, I won't ruin anything. I'm just trying to be..." I was saying again, when he cut me off, "Don't talk again Hailey. You just make things worse when you open your mouth."
I gasped, "You're so rude! How can you say that to me? I'm going to tell your mom you're being rude." I advanced towards my balcony to jump over to his but Mason held me down and started tickling me.

After bouts of laughing and pleading with Mason to stop before I pee my pants, he finally stopped. He placed his forehead on mine and held my waist.
"Stay with me Hailey. You have to fight this, okay? I can't imagine life without you."

I tried to tease him, "Don't be a Shakespeare Mason."
Mason shook his head, "I'm not trying to be. I'm serious when I say I can't imagine life without you."
My face spotted a frown as I said, "You have to learn how to let go Mason. What if..." He cut me short by placing his fingers on my lips, "What did we agree on being negative?"
I huffed, "Alright, I'll try."

"Better." He smiled and hugged me.
After some hours of watching some movies, I finally slept off. Before I drifted off, I heard Mason sniff, like he was crying.
He said, "Don't leave me Hailey. I don't think I can handle it if you leave like my dad."