62 | bleeding love

gray's point of view

•  •  •

I snap my head up when the elevator lights turn on, wondering who the hell could be coming up right now. Slowly, I shut my notebook and set it down beside me on the couch. With tension rigid in my body, I stand up and stalk toward the elevator door, prepared to confront the intruder.

Chewie's going crazy beside me, barking manically. I bend down and scratch behind his ear, calming him down. Still, I'm on guard.

My entire demeanor changes the instant the doors slide open and I set eyes on my River. In a few strides, I close the distance between us. She smiles sweetly at me. I bend down to kiss her full lips, the lips I've memorized the taste of.

"Hey, baby," I say, moving a strand of slightly damp hair away from her face. Even with no makeup on, she's the most gorgeous girl I've ever laid eyes on. "What's up? Didn't get enough of me in the last two days?"

She tilts her head at me and smiles. "Nope, never," she says, then stands on her tiptoes to move our faces closer together. River wraps her arms around my neck, and she melts into my body perfectly. "I texted you that I was coming over."

"Sorry, I didn't have my phone on me," I say, considering telling her what I was preoccupied with, but she's hardly listening to me. River's focused on my lips, and I anticipate the next kiss she gives me.

Her dark eyes dart around the room when we break away, and I turn to wonder what she's looking for. "Where's Gracie?" She asks, biting her lip softly. Watching her nibble on her bottom lip makes my blood run hot, and a million different scenarios--all involving that mouth of hers--fly through my mind. I take a deep breath.

"Her last physical therapy appointment," I answer, glancing at my watch and trying to distract myself. "I'm picking her up in about an hour."

She lands her sights back on me, and a devious look crosses over her features. Desire fills those beautiful eyes of hers, making my blood run even hotter. Riv hops up to kiss me again, more passionately and lustfully this time, and I'm caught by surprise.

I gently pull her away. "No need to rush, Riv," I assure her, amused by her impulsivity. But watching her face, I see her expression go from lustful to impatient in less than a heartbeat. Suddenly, I realize she's holding something back. She's . . . off.

Moving closer to her, I examine every fine detail of her face, searching for a crack in her emotional mask. Willing her to be vulnerable to me.

"Hey," I say, softening my voice. Gently, I grasp her chin. "Look at me, baby."

Unlike the many times before that I've done this, she doesn't relax into my touch. She clenches her jaw, and I realize she's nervously shaking her leg. I wonder how I didn't notice her strange behavior earlier.

"What's wrong?" I ask, staring into her alluring hazel eyes. Her full, pink lips are neutral, not giving away any sign of how she's truly feeling. Instead of answering, she just bites her lip again softly, aiming her eyes anywhere but into my own. "I'm listening," I assure.

"I'm fine," she insists, tension lacing her voice. She's still adamantly not looking at me. Concern fills my chest, and I think through every one of our previous conversations, searching for any hint of difficulty. But River masks her emotions well, only letting her feelings of lust shine through.