chapter 7

The sky was grey and dull like normal as you left Jerome's trailer and began making your way to the police station. Thoughts raced through your mind making you question everything that had happened.

Last night did not go how you had planned for it to go but somehow you preferred it non the less, you hadn't been that close with a man since your last ex so it was almost foreign to you but for some reason just being around Jerome felt like you had known him for years.

The way he made you feel was completely different to anything you had previously experienced, it made the fact of him being a murderer seem almost acceptable. You still had doubts however, he was definitely the most complex and contrasting person you had ever encountered and to be honest you weren't sure if you could handle it.

------------

"..They need you at this location now!" You could hear faint voices coming from inside while you stood behind the front doors of the GCPD. Police officers and criminals filled the room with shouting and chaos as you walked through the doors and into the station.

You had only ever been inside once or twice and each time it seemed to get bigger and crazier than before. The room was lined with desks and paper work ranging from minor incidents to major catastrophes, the entire place was blanketed by a fierce atmosphere as people rushed up and down the walkway slamming doors of cells and fighting with criminals.

"Can I help you Miss" A tall bearded man walked up to you holding a coffee cup in his right hand and his other inches away from his gun that rested in his belt. He looked as though he had just came in from somewhere as he was wearing a rimmed hat and seemed extremely tired.

"I'm looking for Jerome" You could feel his eyes scanning you up and down in concern.
"Jerome Valeska?" He asked, so that was his surname, it suits him, you nodded in return.

"Why are you looking for him?" The man glared at you in suspicion, planting his hand on his gun at last.
You took a step back, holding up your arms for the man to see "listen, I don't want any trouble, I just need to speak with him about something personal" You had no idea what was going on or why the mention of Jerome's name caused such a reaction from this man but you tried to remain calm.

"Jerome Valeksa has been taken to Arkham Asylum" The words cut through you like a knife. They must've found out it was him, you realized now why his name caused such a stir, he must think you had something to do with it all.

You didn't know how to respond, instead you just stood there gaping at this man who was getting more and more confused and suspicious the longer you were there.

"Are you alright? Do you know who this man is?" Questions came flying towards you and yet you continued to just stand there. How were you ever going to see him again, the most you could do was speak to him from inside a mental institution. How long was he going to be in there for? Some part of you was telling you to just run out of there and head for Arkham but the other part told you to stay. What would you say to him?

"Umm I, uhh," You knew if you told this man the truth he would probably lock you up too but you didn't know what else to say.

"Take your time. I'm detective Bullock" He motioned me towards a bench that sat in front of a desk in the middle of the station.

"I don't know what he's done or why he is in Arkham, I just met him the other night at the circus. We spoke and had fun but that was it, he was really kind to me and I just wanted to arrange another day to meet up" You lied and prayed he believed it but with him being a detective it wasn't going to be that easy.

"Alright.. But how did you know he would be here?" Shit you hadn't thought this through, you being the dumb person you were just blurted out a lie that you may not be able to back up.

"I uh- he told me he was going to see Alice. He uh wanted to talk to her about something" Your breath quickened as you tried to sound believable but Bullock didn't seem to be buying it just yet.

"He knows Alice?" His eyebrow raised as he continued to stare at you.
"Yeah uh we're best mates so she was with me the night I met him, I think it was the first time they met but she told him she worked here so I'm guessing that's how he knew to come here to speak to her". You gave a light hearted smile as you finished your excuse.

"I see. Listen kid I'm going to let you go but I strongly suggest staying away from that man. He's bad news and if you continue to stay in contact with him you'll only be slowly digging your grave alright" He stood up, still looking at you, he still seemed skeptical of you but he let you go anyway.

You stood up after him and gave him a nod before walking towards the door. The relief you felt was great but you still didn't know what to make of Jerome being in Arkham.

The air was crisp and cold as you walked outside pulling out your phone, you needed to call Alice and explain everything that had happened in case she was bombarded with questions the next time she went back to work.

On the way back home all you could think about was him. Jerome. Everything that he had done and said to you and now the thought of him locked away in Arkham for killing his mum. You planned to talk to him tomorrow, to go to Arkham Asylum and figure out what the hell was going on and what any of this meant.

He had probably been with hundreds of other girls before you, I mean just look at him, there was no way he didn't attract the ladies. You were probably just a little game for him, a game that he was playing and no doubt winning.

Yes he killed his mother but you didn't seem to care half as much as you did when he told you. You remembered how your parents were like towards you and how sometimes you wished you could just kill them yourself but to actually carry out that wish was on another level, a level which Jerome reached. As long as he didn't harm you, you didn't mind too much.

He made you feel weird inside, a mix of all the emotions at once and yet you seemed to like it a little bit. He made you feel alive, something which you had never felt before. Everything he did was a surprise, he was unpredictable and you loved that about him, it made you want him more.

Thinking about all of this made something in you come out, a side of you which was always hidden. You came to one conclusion when thinking about him.

You may just be in love with Jerome Valeska.