chapter 17

Time went by. Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months.
Your life had gone back to being almost normal again. Aside from the occasional kill out of anger. Jerome's memory slowly faded but no matter what happened there was always that little part of your brain that could never forget him.

A little part that missed him every second of the day.

He had changed you, your life, the way you thought and the things you did. Whenever you'd do something new the first thought would be would Jerome do this, would he be proud, you wanted to stop thinking like that but you could never go back.

You forced yourself to stop thinking about him because it only brought pain.
If only there was a way to bring him back.

"Hey, how you holding up?" Alice had stuck by your side like she always did. You don't know how she managed to stay with you after everything, she was definitely special. "Eh I'm surviving, that's something right" You joked back as Alice pulled you into a hug.

"Yeah I guess it is". Her grip tightened around you as you felt a warm tear fall silently down your cheek. "I miss him" That's all you could muster the courage to say without completely crumbling in Alice's arms. "I know you do. Hell, a part of me does too" Alice chuckled trying to soften the mood, pulling you up right so she could see your face.

You giggled at her remark as she wiped your tear away with her sleeve. "It's just, I never thought anything like this would happen to me, I really did love him" You could feel your chest growing heavy and your eyes welling up.

"Sometimes these things happen to the best of us" Alice was always good at comforting you and making sure you were ok but not even she could make this better.

"Tell ya what, how 'bout you come to work with me today and try to forget everything that's happened. Focus on other people and their job yeah?" Alice's voice went high as she lifted herself up straight, her eyes were pleading for you to agree.

There wasn't much to think about, maybe some fresh air would do you some good, "alright I'll come".

-----------

The drive was quiet and peaceful, the trees rushed past the window into a blur. Nearing the station however, you started to notice something. A symbol of some kind.

It had two pointy eyes and a big red smile but instead of a shape, the word 'ha' was repeated to form a smile, it reminded you of Jerome and his manic laugh. The symbol seemed to show up everywhere you looked.

"Hey... Is it just me or do those symbols seem to be appearing like, everywhere" You turned to Alice hoping she would agree.
"No I can't say I've been paying attention to be honest" You sighed, wondering if you were just seeing things or your mind was trying to trick you.

You arrived at the station and like always everyone was rushing around and everything was chaos. Criminals being put behind bars while others were begging to be let free. Phones constantly going off.

"Yo Alvarez! We got a location on Dwight, let's go!" You heard Harvey shouting near the end of the room to which officers all suited up came rushing to his side.

"Hey Lucius! What's going on?" You and Alice walked up the stairs towards the man you knew to be called Fox. "Oh hello Alice, y/n" He bowed his head towards you in a very humble way to which you gave him a smile in return.

"Oh you know, same old. Apart from finding a girl walking around on train tracks two nights ago even though she was reported dead. And we now believe the man behind this is a man named Dwight who seems to be trying to bring people back from the dead. Including Jerome Valeska" Your heart immediately dropped after hearing Lucius speak.