Chapter 21

Sitting all alone in your room like a teenage girl that just got her heart broken, you thought what it could've been like if you never went to the circus that one night.

You would never have met Jerome. You would never have fallen for him. Your mother wouldn't be dead by your hands. Life would be, normal.

Liam began crying which was all he ever seemed to do recently so you pulled yourself together and went to calm him down. "Hey buddy" You spoke in a comforting, baby voice as you picked him up and cradled him in your arms. After a few minutes of rocking him back and forth and giving him some food, he finally calmed down and was now rather content sitting there in your arms.

Out of nowhere, a knock came from the door so you walked down still holding Liam. You had no idea who it was or what they could possibly want but you shielded Liam just incase. Twisting the handle you opened the door and to your surprise, there stood none other than your own father.

"Hello y/n" His voice was low and serious as if he only came for one thing and he wasn't taking no for an answer. "Dad. Why are you here" You were confused and a little worried, had he found out about mother? You were desperate for answers but nothing prepared you for what was said next.

"Listen, I'm not going to waste your time. This city talks, I know he's back and I know he's with you" Even though the name wasn't mentioned once, you knew exactly who he was referring to, Jerome. "It's not safe with him around. I can't control you but I can control Liam, and therefore I am putting my foot down and taking Liam home with me".

You felt your heart drop into your stomach as your hands unconsciously tightened around Liam as if hiding him from everything. " No. You can't" You could barely talk but you were standing your ground if it was the last thing you'd do.

"It's not safe for him here. Not with the loonies running wild especially him, I am taking him home were it's safe and there's nothing you can say or do to change my mind" He crossed his arms and scowled at you. You stood up, holding Liam close to your chest "no. I love Liam, I've taken care of him since he was born, I'm not going to stop now" Your voice deepened and your legs grew heavy.

"Y/n don't make this harder than it has to be" Your dad took a step forward, holding out his arms ready to take Liam but instead of handing him over, you hit his arms away and walked back. "Get away!" You sheltered Liam with your head as he began crying again.

"Don't test me" Those words struck you hard, you had never seen this side of your dad. His eyes had darkened and all of a sudden he became this monster ready to attack. "Liam is staying here. With me!"

Within seconds your dad had pulled out a gun and fired a bullet directly into your foot. Liam's cries turned into full out screams as the sound of the gun shot pierced through the air. His screams were soon joined by yours as you collapsed to the floor all the while trying desperately to keep hold of Liam.

"Ssshhh, it's g-going to be o-okay" You tried so hard to comfort Liam through your tears and pain but it was hopeless, your dad walked up to both of you and snatched Liam from your arms "I told you not to test me" His voice growled in your ear like some ungodly animal. There was no point in even attempting to get Liam. You couldn't stand up, he had a gun and by the time your vision cleared from the tears, the door slammed shut.

You removed your shoe and sock to reveal a bullet hole directly center, blood gushing out soaking the floor. The pain was unbearable, the room started spinning and before you knew it you were laying on the floor passed out.

-----------

"She's lost a lot of blood".
"How long will the recovery take?"
"A few months maybe?"
"When will she be awake?"

You're eyes were shut but you could hear voices all around you, some worried, some calm, and one you recognized to be Alice.

"A-alice?" You slowly opened your eyes to be greeted with a dazzling white light above you and doctors surrounding your bed. "Thank God you're awake" Alice clutched your needle-free hand and smiled at you.

"You lost a lot of blood, if Alice here hadn't have found you when she did, you'd probably be dead." A nurse had walked up to you both and nodded towards Alice who was still holding your hand.

"I came to your house as soon as I heard what happened with J" Alice gave you that best friend look to say that J was code for Jerome, it all started to piece together from then on.

"Thank you Alice" You smiled back up at her and went to sit up but was pushed back down by the nurse "no no no, you need rest, you need to be careful" You sighed, laying back down.

"How did this even happen in the first place?" Alice questioned. You spent the next ten minutes explaining everything that happened to Alice and the nurse about your father and Liam to which they both stood there staring at you in disbelief.

"I'm going to kill that bastard" Alice muttered under her breath once you finished the explanation. "Don't waste your time, J will no doubt do something" You giggled trying to make light of the situation but Alice wasn't very amused, she glared at you causing your smile to drop almost instantly.

"Sorry to interrupt but now you're awake, I need to speak to you. You'll have to stay in here for at least the next couple of days just so we can check over you. After that you'll be free to go, but you will need to take medication and take extra care of your foot understand?" The nurse had came and sat by you handing you a glass of water. You nodded in agreement.

-----------

The hospital wasn't the funnest of places to be; people were always making rackets around you so you couldn't get much sleep, the food was horrendous and the constant injections were enough to cause anyone to dive off a cliff. Alice could only visit during certain hours so the majority of the mornings and nights were spent alone and miserable.

"I've searched everywhere, the GCPD have looked but there's absolutely no sign of him or Liam, they're gone" Alice would give you daily updates on her work but this was the most heartbreaking. Liam could be anywhere with that son of a bitch probably crying for you and there was nothing you could do to save him.

*a few days later*

"Alright miss, time to go. Your documents are with your friend and she'll help you out" A nurse had walked over and removed all the things attached to you and finally handed over a pair of crutches for you to use until you could walk again.

You had only ever had to use crutches once before back when you were a child but they were easy enough to use and soon you were whizzing around like mad. "Hey! Take it easy miss hobble" Alice chuckled, grabbing your arm. You stared at her in annoyance but soon laughed with her. This was the perfect time to make jokes and she was not one to miss an opportunity like that.

"Hey listen I've been thinking" You began speaking, stopping Alice outside the hospital

"Maybe I should visit Jerome. Being stuck in that hospital has given me an idea".