Chapter 28

The meeting finished and everyone was seen out by Oswald this time "y/n" As you got to the front door Oswald called you back to have a word. "It's fine J, go home I'll meet you there" You let Jerome go off alone not knowing how long this would take.

The door shut behind him as Oswald led you to a smaller room down the hall. It was a dimly lit room, the fireplace being the only source of light.

"Alright, I know we may not have seen eye to eye in the past, but I think this is something we can both agree on; whatever Jerome is planning, it isn't good" He sat you down in front of him, handing you a glass of red wine.

"This is something greater than anything he could achieve by himself which means there is a whole lot of problems heading our way" He leaned in close to you
"Do you know what he is planning?" He asked, scanning your face for an answer.

"No, I thought you did" You replied, half surprised that Oswald new nothing. "Listen, I still remember what you said to me back in Arkham, the way you went behind his back to help me up. You can fight this. If we work together we can stop what is happening and I can take over the underworld" You scoffed the minute you heard what Oswald really wanted.

"I'm not going to go against my boyfriend to help you become a threat to Gotham" You laughed, confused as to why he even thought it would work.

"Listen here. If any of those people at the table get there hands on the opportunity to wreck havoc on this city, they will tear it to pieces. My threats would look like gifts to what they would do. I saw the way you reacted to parts of his plan, I know you're not happy with it but you don't know what these people are capable of. Jerome's nothing compared to them".

Oswald's words hit you hard, a lot of what he was saying was true which scared you a little. Of course you weren't happy with what you heard but you weren't going to let someone like Oswald become that much of a power over Gotham. Plus, you dread to think what Jerome would do to him, or anyone, if he didn't get his way.

You stayed silent, thinking over each possibility in each situation. Oswald was very methodical, he had a sharp intellect which made it easy for him to make intricate plans and him being in power was probably better for Gotham than what the others would be.

However, Jerome was Jerome, he was a nihilistic anarchist which meant he could do whatever he damn pleased and nothing could stop him, he was chaotic and unpredictable; if he didn't get his way God knows what would happen, plus he was your man, always by your side when you needed it, there was no way you could turn your back on him now.

"I understand this is a lot to take in, but give it some thought and get back to me" Oswald broke your train of thought, handing you a piece of torn paper with a number on it. "My guard will take you home" He pointed towards a man standing in the doorway as he helped you off the chair and whispered in your ear.

"Make the right choice".

----------

After an uncomfortable ride home in silence the man dropped you off in front of your building and drove off, leaving you alone finally.

As you approached your front door you could hear shouting from inside " What the hell" You muttered to yourself. Jerome should've been the only one there. You opened the door to see Jerome and Alice yelling down each other's throats, drowing out the noise from anything else.

"What the hell is going on here!?" You screamed over the top of them making sure you were heard, instantly both voices fell silent as the pair of them stared at you. "I don't want you seeing him anymore" Alice pointed at Jerome who shook his head "tell your friend she's being absurd and needs to leave" Alice rolled her eyes at Jerome.