Chapter 24

"What do you want" Oswald was panting like a dog, clearly struggling. "I told you, pengy" Jerome spoke back "I'm gonna cure you of this sad sack mopey act, and the best cure is the laughing cure" Jerome begun smiling to which the other inmates let out sniggers and quiet laughs.

How long had Oswald been here you wondered, the great Oswald Cobblepot, villainous crime leader, here in Arkham Asylum getting undoubtedly tortured by whatever the hell your boyfriend was doing with him.

How come Jerome had never mentioned Oswald. "Make me laugh" His voice turned cold and sinister as the rest of the room started chanting "make him laugh" In unison. You could see Oswald's distraught expression twist into confusion and fear as Jerome pulled out a bowl of popcorn and started eating away, handing you some subconsciously.

"So what will you be performing today?" Jerome asked Oswald, listing off different acts people usually performed for comedy "what's that? You want to do a clown dance?!" Jerome acted surprised at his own remark leading the others to exclaim and agree with him. You looked over to see two brawny men hold up a clown costume glaring at Oswald who looked petrified at this point.

It was only then that Oswald caught sight of you, his expression changed into a pleading one and you swore you heard he breathe your name at one point. There was nothing you could do, especially not with Jerome sitting directly next to you. You gave Oswald a sympathetic look and mouthed 'sorry' to him but he simply sighed and looked away.

"I will not!" He spat towards Jerome but as if that was the cue, the two men with the costume hurled it at Oswald and forced it onto him. The inmates surrounding his table held Oswald in place as his arms flailed about, thrashing and twisting to break free. But it was no use, the outfit was on and all you could hear were his clown shoes speaking like dog toys.

You watched Oswald's face turn red and broken, he clearly had had enough "you have no idea how I've suffered.. The betrayals I've endured.. Just leave me alone" His voice broke under the pressure, he was clearly trying to hold back tears of pain. All you could do was feel sorry for him.

"Cut!" The room fell silent once again as Jerome yelled out placing the bowl back on the table and walking over to Oswald. "You are trapped, in a prison, in here" He poked Oswald on the head making him flinch away "and I'm offering you the key so.. Dance" He stepped back as inmates began prodding Oswald with sticks like some animal trapped in a cage.

He instantly began jumping around trying to avoid the sticks, it was an awful sight especially after knowing a bit of his past and what happened to his mother.

Jerome stepped back towards you "now we're talking" He shouted over all the chanting and yelling. "I can feel the funny coming, here it comes" You just wanted everything to stop. "Here comes the funny okay" Jerome held out his arms but nothing was louder than the scream that erupted from Oswald. He jumped off the table and charged at Jerome in anger.

You covered your face, turning to the side and heard a loud bang followed by a thud. The group changed from chanting and laughing to "ooh's" Of disgust and pain as you turned back round. Rather than seeing Jerome on the floor you saw Oswald laying there with blood dripping from his mouth. You shook your head in sympathy and watched Jerome walk up to his face, towering over him.

"Fred Astaire you are not" He muttered and to your surprise kicked his face and walked off motioning you to follow.

You had no choice but to do what he asked so you stood up and began walking. Jerome wasn't looking, you had the chance, you held your hand out for Oswald to take and helped him to his feet "I'm sorry Oswald, I had no idea" You whispered to him before running after Jerome and leaving Oswald alone.