Chapter 3

The escort came at 11 Am.

I was ready. They had told me to only bring accessories. No clothes, no toiletries. Those would all be provided for at the training facility.

I stood outside, my single suitcase bulging. I had packed books, pictures, markers and other art supplies, a water bottle, some plastic balls, several board games, and several ancient mini archade games. Even though they were old, they provided good entertainment, and didn't need wifi. Who knows how strong wifi is in space?

The car was sleek but intimidating. It was a shiny shade of black, and it's metal weels gleamed in the artificial lighting. A man in a fancy black suit stepped out and nodded to me.

"Miss Emily. It is an honor to escot you to the Space X Training Facility." He said with a gruff voice.

"Uh, Thanks." I said, unsure. Then I turned to my grandma. She was crying. SHe was smiling for me, but the tears where for her.

When I stepped into that car, I would never see her again. I would leave her here to pay rent, to eat. Who would she cook for?

"Gran, it's okay." I said, hugging her tight. We both kew the truth. It wasn't okay.

"Good luck, honey." She said, stroking my cheek. I felt the tears fall. 

"Ma'am, your car is only five minutes away." The escort interrupted. We both turned to stare at him.

"What?" Gran asked.

"The application form stated clearly: All family members over 60 will be accepted into the Rolling Hills Hotel as a gift to the accepted trainee." He said. I held back a small curse to myself. I should have read the paper better. Then I turned to Gran, who was smiling bigger than I had ever seen her.

"Isn't aunt Tonnia at Rolling Hills?" I asked, exited. Gran nodded, then hugged me again.

"Oh, this is wonderful." She said. It was. Rolling Hills was for the Ritch. It was in the leat spoluted area of town, with a lake, a golf course, and more. And, most importantly, it had food, and friends. Gran would not be alone. I burst into tears again.

"I love you. Oh my god, Gran, I love you." I said, temblling. I kissed her on the cheek and she did the same.

"Get out of here." She said, smiling. "Go see the sun. Name a kid after me, will ya?" 

I nodded, still crying. I waved at her all the way to the car. I saw her car pull up right behind ours and Gran went in, grinning and laughing. I smiled and whipped my tears.

As the car window closed, I said goodbye to my apartment. I looked up to spot nearly all my neighbors. They were cheering wildly, waving hats and throwing peces of paper like confeti. 

They were cheering for me.

I guess people aren't that bad after all.