Chapter 7

I wasn't the first to wake up. I guess the pilots have to be the first to wake, because Jacks was already up, organizing his things in neat cubicles that were under each of our beds. There was one bed and one cubicle for each person. Everyone except Jacks and I where asleep, which was surprising.  I was not a light sleeper. I had expected to wake up on year 1,000 or something. 

The calendar on the wide screen at the front of the room was counting by the days as if they were minuets, the days like milliseconds. 

Year 40- Day 233

Year 40- Day 234

I guess waking up on year 1,000 wasn't that late. 

Jacks spotted me awake and smiled. "There's my co-pilot."

"Hey." I said, almost at a whisper. Jacks laughed.

"They can't hear you. They'll only awake up once the drug is fully absorbed. As you can see, they gave us a bit less so we can start charting the course. " He pointed at my cubicle, which had a near binder on it. "That's our tasks per day. Or per year. I don't know at this point."

I laughed, then thought of my grandma and nearly cried. At this point, she was probably dead. She had hopefully enjoyed her last years in the lavish living of the retirement home, but I missed her. Jacks looked at me with sad, understanding eyes.

"I know you don't want my pity." He said softly. "But I know what you're feeling right now. This whole thing is overwhelming. But we can do it. We were born to do this."

"Yeah, I know." I flashed him a smile. "Thanks."

He nodded. "If I where you, I would start organizing. When these bozos wake up, this whole ship's gonna be chaos." 

I laughed. "Ay aye, captain."

I began organizing my belongings in my cubicle. My clothes were already there, neatly folded and sporting my dark blue color. I separated two for clothing and two for personal belongings. I then went into the bathroom, which was separated in two, one for the boys and one for the girls, and claimed the best spot possible by placing y toiletries in a protective square around my area. I placed my toiletry bad in the actual shelf I wanted. 

I then went to the navigation room, where Jacks was typing the course I had planned into the navigation computer. I took my spot on the Co-pilot's seat, which was made of cushiony, brown leather. Jacks sat in his chair, swiveling around. 

I tried looking at the window, but all I could see was black and white, like that old Star Wars movie. Like we were in light speed. 

"Wow." I breathed, watching us pass galaxy after galaxy. "This is amazing. It feel's like we're in a movie."

"Luke." Jacks said, turning to me with a serious face. "I am your father."

"Noooooooo." I said, pretending to faint as my chair swiveled around. We laughed and then sat in silence for a while.

Years passed in a matter of seconds, and that's not a metaphor. (Or simile. I don't know. Sure, I have a nearly 160 IQ, but I don't know the difference between a metaphor and simile. Boohoo).

I heard a few yells, crashes, and laughs coming from the dorm. I turned to jack, who inhaled with a smile. 

"Here we go."

____________________________________________________________

Oh my gosh! I can't believe how much attention this got! Thank you so much you guys! Every view and vote helps me write more and helps boost my motivation. I will now update at least twice a week! Stay tuned, and comment who you think is the impostor!