Chapter 19

I turned around right when a wrist grabbed my hand. I shook it off and baked up against the wall.

Jacks was standing there, in front of me.

I was hoping he would laugh and tell me I was stupid. Tell me I was wrong, and he hadn't killed my crew, and he hadn't just brought the ingredients needed to make an Atomic Bomb on a highly flammable and explosive ship.

But his eye were sad, yet cold. 

"How much do you know?"

I caught my breath and tried not to cry. I looked into his eyes. "What do you mean?"

He raised an eyebrow, then rolled is eyes. "You can't lie to me, El. How much do you know?"

"I don't know anything!" I yelled, panic rising. 

He smiled sadly. "Great performance. Save it for the cops."

"I'm not lying!" I said, trying to convince him. "What do you mean, what do I know?"

Jacks gestured to the notebook. "You are smart, El. You figured it out. And because you're smart, you should know you can't lie to me."

"Jacks, you're scaring me." I managed, pushing him aside. "I need air."

He grabbed my wrist and I grabbed his hand, twisting and pulling away. He looked at me, shocked.

"I. Need. Air." I said.

I turned to the exit, but the doors were firmly shut. I tried typing in the keypad, but nothing happened. I swirled around to see Jacks leaning on a wall, a small projection full of coding shining from his wristwatch. 

"Jacks, let me out right now." I seethed, fists clenched. 

"You know I can't do that, El." He whispered.

The cold, heartless words made me lose my composure as a wave of panic and betrayal hit my core. I felt a tear squeeze through. I grasped the walls, trying to remain calm. But it was too late. I knew the panic was showing. The tear rolled off my chin and fell, silent, to the floor. 

"Let me out!" I yelled, voice shaking with panic. Another tear fell. 

"El. You have to let me explain-"

"Explain WHAT?" I yelled, sobbing. "Explain that you KILLED Barracks? Explain that because of you, half of the crew is DEAD?"

"Barracks wasn't part of the plan." He said.

"Oh, he wAsNt PaRt Of ThE PlAn." I said, rolling my eyes. "So what? You think that justifies killing him?"

"I didn't-"

"You just admitted you did, Jacks." I said. "Now let me out of this dam room, or god help me, I will scream. Aron and Dean will come, and-"

"No they won't, El." Jacks said, his voice a bare whisper.

"What do you-" My eyes widened. "No."

"El-"

"No!" I yelled. I couldn't help myself. I shoved him against the wall, tears really falling now. But my face was red with rage, not sadness or panic. "YOU BASTARD! YOU KILLED THEM, TOO?"

"I didn-" I cut him off with a slap against the face. Thank god neither of us had our helmets on, that would have hurt. He raised a hand to the now red skin and looked at me in shock. 

"That's what you get." I said, breathing hard. "No, actually, you deserve being ejected, you stupid mother F**er."

He looked at me and smiled sadly. "That's the most mad I've ever seen you. But you have to understand me. I didn't do any of this."

"Uhuh."I said, but my sass was depleted. I felt another tear squeeze through and I sank to the ground, hands trembling. "You lied to me, Jacks. I trusted you, and you lied."

"I didn't lie, El." He said, kneeling and whipping my tear away with his sleeve. 

"That's another lie." I said, pushing his hand away. "And you know what else was a lie? Our relationship."

His eyes widened. "Wait-"

"No, Jacks." I seethed, standing back up. "I will not wait. I will not do a single thing you tell me to do. Because you know what? I see through your charade now, you bastard. I know it was all to make you seem all sweet and innocent."

I spat at him, hitting him straight where I slapped him. "Innocent, my *ss."

"El, it wasn't a lie." He leaned in closer and I smacked him, hard, against the temple. 

"Oh, do not even go there," I said. "Don't you even dare."

"El, Aron and Dean aren't dead." Jacks said, almost ignoring me.

"Oh, just like the radioactive elements in admin aren't there, either?" I spat, turning away from him and facing the door once more.

The stunned silence was soon interrupted by a voice, cold and amused. 

"She knows too much." 

I spun around. That wasn't Jacks.

Cain was smiling from behind Jacks, waist deep in the vent.

And he had a gun pointed straight at me.