Chapter 48 - Archer's POV

***********************************************************************************************

"Are you sure you don't want to try and get her number? She keeps looking over here." Bryan shot a smirk over my shoulder and swirled the ice in his glass. 

"I'm positive. I'm with Charlotte remember?" I tried to keep the edge out of my voice but he was really grinding on my last nerve. Bryan seemed determined to hook me up with this waitress and he kept conveniently forgetting about my girlfriend.

"Hmmm, little Miss Avery. I have to say son, I really didn't see that one coming. Skittish little thing isn't she?" 

"Not at all," I said behind clenched teeth. "She can be shy sometimes." I shrugged. 

"Well, I think that's great." Bryan nodded approvingly and took a sip of his drink. 

I perked up, surprised by him. Mentally, I chastised myself for instantly feeling a spark of excitement that this man, of all people, approved of my girl. "Thanks." I smiled, mostly because her face now floated in my mind's eye. 

"Yes. She's a pretty girl from a good family. Doesn't seem like the type to get in trouble or cause a scene. She'll be good for your image in the next year." 

Just like that, the spark was blown out. "I'm not with her for my image, Dad. I love her." 

"Oh God, Archer." His head dropped back in exasperation. "You can't afford to love anyone. You need to focus on your career." 

Every inch of my being wanted to explode on him. To scream and yell that he had no idea what I needed. But I was so close to getting what I needed out of him. 

I gripped the phone in my pocket tighter, ensuring it was right at the opening of my jeans. He'd already been spewing hatred for my mom all night, but it was so hard to know if it was enough. It was ridiculous how easy it had been to get him talking. A few choice words from me about no one understanding how important football was and how Mom was being cold and pushy about me getting good grades. It felt like liquid lava in my throat to speak ill of her to Bryan, but it had worked. 

At least, mostly. Mr. Avery made it clear that to go after him legally, we needed him to vocalize that he wanted me to sign an agency contract early. Also, that an easy divorce for my mother was the bribe to do so. He had said as much, but it was always in a slight code. 

"I guess we'll see how things go," I said slowly as I ripped the edges off a paper napkin.

"Fine. Just never forget the goal, son. She can come along for the ride, but if she starts to get in the way of your NFL dreams, you'll have to cut her loose." Dad spoke so easily. Like the thought of breaking up with Charlotte was the same as deciding to throw away an old tee-shirt. In actuality, it would be like cutting into my own chest and ripping out my heart. Just thinking about it as a hypothetical made my hands shake and my stomach queasy. 

"So, should we get to signing this thing?" Bryan eyed me over his glass. I could tell the niceties were over, it was time for business. 

I kept my body calm by thinking of Charlotte while I nodded and pulled the contract in front of me. My hands didn't shake because I imagined running them through her soft curls. My shoulder's stayed relaxed by thinking about her dainty little fingers rubbing them. The thought of her sparkly brown eyes even brought a small smile to my lips. 

"I'm excited," I said through the smile. My eye's stayed on the contract so the image of Bryan wouldn't ruin my peace. 

"Great, so am I. I think I can do amazing things for your career."