Heartache...

I see the moment it happened. I see the moment I lost him. He didn't say anything and neither did I. I wasn't going to lie and say I didn't mean it because I did. But I saw the change in his eyes. He completely withdrew.

He rolled off me and I got up to go into the bathroom. I turned on the shower and climbed in. The tears ran down my face and I shook from the intensity of them but I stayed quiet. When I finally got myself under control I dried off and went out to the other room. Leo was rolled on his side facing away from me. I know he was pretending to be asleep and I just let him. It ended up being a very long restless night.

In the morning he wakes me up by kissing his way down my body until he's between my thighs. He brings me to the edge quickly and while I'm still trying to catch my breath he enters me. He's slow and tender.

He cups my face and looks me in the eye. "I'm sorry Emma. I'm so fucking sorry." I feel the tears running down my face. And he wipes them away at the same time I see one slide down his cheek.

I reach up and wipe it away. "I know, Leo. I know."

We both cling to each as we find our release and for a long time after. Eventually, its time to get up and check out so we do. The ride back to my house is done in silence.

When we get there he carries my bag to the house and when I open the door he sets it inside without coming in. I turn to him and say the only thing I can.

"I meant it and I won't take it back. Leo, I am without a doubt, head over heels in love with you, against my better judgment." I let out a sad little laugh and wipe away the tears falling. "I tried so damn hard not to let it happen. But it did. I fell. Hard. And I know that scares the shit out of you and I completely understand why it does. But, Leo, I won't pretend to not feel what I do just to keep you. I deserve better than that."

I rise up and kiss him lightly on the lips. His hand instinctively goes to the back of my head to hold me to him. However, I pull my lips away and he rests his forhead on mine. "If you ever decide you're ready to let me love you then you know where to find me." I pull away and go inside. My heart breaks as I watch him pull away.

I spend the rest of the day keeping busy. I blast music throughout the house and clean. I turned off my phone so I don't have to talk anyone. I'm not ready. I spend the weekend doing things around the house, watching sad movies and eating junk food.

Apparently, Leo hasn't told anyone that we're not together anymore because the girls haven't shown up on my doorstep yet. I've received text but nothing about Leo.

Monday I pull myself together and go to work. I hear a knock on my office door.

"Come in."  Its Lily. She has fabric samples in her hand when she walks in.

"What do you think about these for-" she stops when she looks up at me. "Emma, what's wrong? Have you been crying?"

"Not today."

"Em, what's going on?"

"Leo and I broke up." She sits in the chair across from me.

"Oh, honey. What happened?"

"I told him I love him. I didn't plan on. It just happened. He didn't take it well."

She gets up and comes around my desk to hug me. "I'm so sorry. Are you sure its over? Maybe he just needs some time to get use to the idea."

"I don't know. I guess we'll just have to wait and see but for now we're done."

"What can I do for you?"

"Nothing. Thank you but I'm okay. I promise." I hesitate but then I go on."Lil, he's the one I'm worried about. Will you and Oliver watch out for him?"

She gives me a sad smile. "Of course. But Em, I can be there for both of you. So don't hesitate to let me know if you need me."

"I will. Thanks again." Then we change the subject to the fabric samples she brought in.

Over the next couple of weeks I keep busy with work. I also have dinner with my parents over the weekend. My moms doing well and the specialist she saw said everything checked out. So fingers crossed that it was just an extra nasty case of the flu.

Its been two weeks since I've seen or talked to Leo. I'm home fighting to stay awake while I read the latest Nicholas Sparks book. Its not that its bad its just been a long week and I'm exhausted.

I'm about to call it quits and head to bed when my phone rings. Its Oliver and instantly I think somethings happened to Lily or Olivia.

"Oliver? Whats wrong?"

"Emma, I'm sorry to bother you this late but can you come to Leo's? Now."

I don't hesitate. I can hear in Oliver's voice that somethings wrong. "I'll be right there."

I'm in my pajamas so I quickly run to my room to throw on jeans and an oversized sweater, then I run out the door.

My stomachs in knots on the drive over. I don't know whats going on but I have a feeling its bad. I pull in the driveway and as I make way to the door I hear yelling and what sounds like glass breaking. I try the door and find it unlocked.

I hear Oliver talking. "Leo, man come on thats enough."

Leo doesn't like that. He sounds like I've never heard him before. He's so angry. "Enough? Fuck you Oliver. This is my house if you dont like how I do things in my own fucking house then get out!" As I walk farther into the house I see Leo throw something at one of Cassie's painting on the wall and the glass shatters all over the floor.

"Leo!" Him and Oliver didn't hear me come in so they both turn around in surprise when I yell.

Leo turns on Oliver. He's furious. "You called her? You fucking brought her into this! Screw you Oliver."

Leo lunges for Ollie but I run between them and put my hands on Leo's chest. "Leo, stop it!" He tries to move around me. "Leo! Look at me!"

He stops but he still refuses to look at me. I take his face in my hands. "Leo, please."

He eventually looks at me. "What is going on? Talk to me."

"What are you doing here Emma. Did you not take the hint last time we saw each other? Do you need me to spell it out for you?" He lowers his face so we're eye to eye. "I don't love you."

I drop my hands from his face and behind me I hear Oliver move. He puts a hand on my shoulder. "Leo, what the hell man? Don't be dick to her. She's here because I called her and she cares about you."

"It's okay Ollie. He's obviously drunk and hurting." Leo and I just keep staring at each other. "Do either of you want to tell me what happened here tonight?"

Without ever taking his eyes off mine Leo answers. "You wanna know what happened? Today would of been my son's fifth birthday but he's dead so instead of watching him blow out candles and open presents like I should of been doing I decided to get shit faced."

Well that explains a lot.

"Oh, Leo."