Azumane Asahi x Fem!Reader - About Time

"All right, take a break!" Ukai called to the team.

The Karasuno team started moving off the court, grabbing their towels and water bottles. They'd been running drills for ages, mostly serving and receiving. But they were working on blocking as well, and spiking.

Asahi was in the middle of taking a drink when Nishinoya elbowed him. He spluttered, nearly choking on his water.

"Someone's here to see you," he said with a cheeky grin. Asahi followed his gaze to see you standing in the doorway of the gym.

When you caught sight of him, you waved and started walking towards him.

Asahi cleared his throat and met you halfway.

"(Y/N), I didn't know you were here," he said.

"Oh, it's fine," you told him. "I didn't want to interrupt practice. But I wanted to give these back to you. They really helped me out."

You handed him his notes from class.

He blushed profusely, scratching the back of his head. "Well, you were sick last week. It was the least I could do."

You nodded to yourself, shyly avoiding his gaze.

Across the room, Nishinoya, Daichi, and Sugawara were all huddled together. They were staring at the both of you, a dark aura resonating from them.

Nishinoya sighed. "If Asahi doesn't do something soon, I'm going to confess myself. I want a cute girlfriend and he won't make a move!"

"Have some patience. They're both shy so of course they won't act on it unless they're comfortable," Sugawara pointed out.

"But this has been going on for months!" Daichi grumbled.

"I caught that last spike you did," you told Asahi. "It was really good."

He smiled. "Thanks. It's great to be back on the court."

"I can tell. You look so different when you play volleyball. Not that it's a bad thing or anything!" you added when he looked at you.

"No, I get that a lot," he admitted with a nervous laugh. "It's because--"

You shook your head. "You're not scary, Asahi. Anyone who knows you understands that."

He was caught off guard by the conviction of your words. He opened his mouth to say something, but several things happened at once. You heard a smacking sound, and then a lot of yelling.

"Heads up!

"Asahi!"

"(Y/N), look out!"

You weren't quite aware of what had happened. You only knew that you were knocked onto the floor by a large force. You were vaguely aware of a volleyball bouncing off the wall somewhere behind you and someone (you thought it might be Daichi) yelling at someone named Hinata.

But those thoughts simply buzzed around as you came face to face with the real person of interest right now.

Asahi.

He had seen Hinata's uncontrollable spike heading straight for you. He'd heard his teams' warning shouts.

He'd instantly tackled you to the ground, out of the way of the ball. He rolled a few times with you across the gym floor as well.

The ace also wasn't aware of how it had happened. He simply knew he'd ended up on his back. His arms firmly wrapped around you, pressing you closer to him. Along with your lips.

You'd somehow tangled yourselves up together in such a way that you'd kissed.

Upon realizing this, you quickly picked your head up and stared at him. He stared right back at you, the same look of confused panic on his face.

You felt the blush blooming, and you looked away.

He slowly sat up on his elbows, his face equally as red.

"I'm so sorry!" you both exclaimed.

"You're not hurt, are you?"

"No. And I really didn't mean to--!"

"Neither did I! But the ball--"

"It's fine! I wasn't paying attention, and you saved me!"

He froze at your statement.

"It's fine," you repeated. "It was an accident."

"I-I'm just glad you're okay."

You smiled slightly. "Me too. Thank you for saving me."

At that moment, you both become uncomfortably aware of his entire team watching the exchange. You scrambled to your feet and extended a hand to him.

He gladly accepted it and you hauled him to his feet, pulling him close to you once more. You both stared at each other for a moment, hands clasped together.

But his team was still staring at you, somehow even more intensely than before.

You weren't to know this, but the stares were all directed at Asahi, commanding him to act. He shrank under their gazes, knowing full well what they wanted.

You took a step back, meaning to leave.

Asahi gripped your hand tighter and pulled you close again.

"A-Asahi?" you whispered, looking up at him.

He quickly pressed his lips to your cheek.

"I've always been worried I'm going to scare you away. But I like you (Y/N). And the first one might have been an accident, but that wasn't."

"F-first one?" you repeated weakly.

"If you're okay with that."

You nodded quickly, not trusting your mouth to make comprehensible words. He smiled slightly, squeezing your hand in his own.

"Oi!" Coach Ukai called. "I'd love to get some more practice in. If you can tear yourself away from your girlfriend, Asahi."

"Y-yes, sir!" Asahi exclaimed, suddenly coming to attention.

You giggled quietly at his reaction. "See you later, Asahi."

He gave you a firm nod in response.

You slipped out of the gym before leaning against the side of the building, gently touching your cheek.

Asahi had kissed you. Twice. You would have never believed it you hadn't experienced it yourself.

"About time," Coach Ukai grumbled as Asahi stepped onto the court.

Daichi gave him a clap on the shoulder and Suga shot him a thumbs-up. Nishinoya gave him a wide grin.

He smirked slightly, staring at the door to the gym.

Yeah. About time.