2 - History

"Did you hear about our newest recruit?" Crowley asked as they sat at the table in a quiet little restaurant. The angel looked down with a gloom in his eyes.

"Yes, Sarah. She was a lovely young girl." Aziraphale sighed as his memories of a distant past came rushing back. "She shouldn't have fallen."

"What?" Crowley raised a mocking eyebrow. "Don't like demons?" He sneered playfully, but when he saw the Angel's reaction, his face turned serious.

"Don't be ridiculous, it's nothing like that. It's just..." Aziraphale paused. "I can't stand it when Gabriel forces innocent Angels to fall." A bright anger flashed through Aziraphale's eyes for a split second. Crowley thought back to his own fall. Although he didn't intend for it to happen, he knew he deserved it.

"How can you be so sure they are innocent?" The demon replied.

"I just do." He said firmly as though wanting it to end the topic.

"Why does it effect you so much? Sure it's normal to he bothered when an angel falls, but this is really getting to you." The angel sighed.

"Don't worry about it. I'm just getting worked up over nothing."

"No, no, no. Aziraphale tell me." The angel met the demon's oddly concerned eyes.

"It's no big deal, it's just, I tried to stop an innocent angel from falling by Gabriel's hand once before, but not only did I fail, I was thrown into the lightning pit."

"You what!" Crowley had never been friends with Gabriel and always thought he was a bit stuck up, but right now, the demon could feel a burning rage towards the archangel. "How the heaven did you survive that?" The angel smiled lightly, looking at his empty plate.

"Believe it or not, it was a demon who saved my life."

"What, really?" The angel nodded.

"After every strike he'd heal my wounds. He made sure I stayed alive. I don't think I'll ever forget him."

"How long ago was this?"

"About nine hundred years before the Eden, give or take." Crowley could remember the time clearly. He had been an angel, terrified of demonic power. Terrified of what would happen if they ever came for him. He knew, even back then, that he was nowhere near strong enough to hold off a demon attack.

"But demon's were at the height of their power back then. Weren't you afraid to be trapped in a hole with a demon?" Crowley eventually asked.

"No. I could never be afraid of him. Well actually, that's a lie. I was once. Just once. When he faced the angel of death." Aziraphale's eyes frowned as he remembered earlier in the night. "He faced death to save me. That night he looked like the demon he was. He had a terrible dark aura emmanating from his body, and his eyes were glowing a blood red. And that night, I was afraid of him." The Angel's eyes reached back up to Crowley's. "You know he's the reason I met you." Crowley's eyebrows furrowed.

"But how?"

"He told me about things I would see in my future. Things that were absurd. Things that I laughed at, but when God commanded that the angels create the Eden, I knew I had to see for myself, so I offered to be demoted to a principality. A guardian. The guardian of he eastern gate." Crowley didn't know who this demon was or why he helped Aziraphale, but he was so grateful that he did.

"Crowley..." Aziraphale said softly. The demon looked at the upset angel. "I thought I wouldn't be able to find you tonight. I thought I wouldn't get to you in time. I know your a demon and I'm an angel. And I know we're hereditary enemies, but I don't exactly want you dying on me." Aziraphale provided a dark box opened to reveal an elegant pair of golden cufflinks "I want you to wear these." Crowley grimaced. It wasn't really his style. He didn't really see a point. "If you're in danger, it will send a signal to my ring. I'll then be able to miracle to your side straight away."

"Does it go both ways?"

"I'd have to assume so." That was enough for the demon. Anything he could use to protect his angel was enough for him. He took the cufflinks, placing it on his left wrist, then his right. The angel smiled in satisfaction knowing that he'd be able to sleep, knowing his demon was safe now. And several times throughout the centuries did the objects come in handy, on both sides. And over time, Aziraphale's fear that death would return began to lessen. He finally got to a point where he stopped thinking about it altogether. That was until armageddon came. He wondered if he'd escaped his fate when death didn't demand retribution then and there. By the time Crowley and Aziraphale had switched places and tricked heaven and hell, Aziraphale was sure he was in the clear. But as he returned to his bookshop that night, he was met with death's cold glare.

"It is time to pay your debt Aziraphale," death informed.

"I see..." Aziraphale spoke in a voice trying to imitate silence. "My I ask, old friend, that I have tonight to say goodbye." The hooded figure nodded once before vanishing into a cloud of blackened smoke. Aziraphale quickly walked over to the old phone plugged into the wall. He knew exactly what he needed to do as he called his best friend.

"Crowley dear, would you perhaps be willing to pop around for a drink this evening?" Crowley noticed that his friend's voice sounded more shook than usual.

"Sure... Aziraphale, is everything okay?"

"Fine dear, I just, I would greatly like to speak with you." Crowley hung up the phone, leaving Aziraphale a little uncertain. But before the angel could think too much about it, a tinkling from the front door drew his attention.

"I'm sorry, we're closed for today!" The angel called out to the front of the building.

"Angel, it's me!" Crowley's voice called, as he walked through to the office where Aziraphale stood. A light smile hit the Angel's face. No matter what happened, the sight of his demon always raised his spirits.

"Ah hello dear." The angel breathed.

"So what's up angel?"

"Would you like a drink?" Aziraphale asked walking over to his exotic wine collection. They were wines that Crowley knew his angel never touched. This greatly concerned the demon.

"Aziraphale? What is it?" The angel searched his cabinet for a vintage 1848 reserve. He was feeling symbolic, not that the demon would pick up on it.

"Ah here we go, this one should be nice." The angel exclaimed, seeming chipper, despite the anxiousness that the demon could see hiding just below the surface of the angel's body. He gripped the angel's wrist with a resolute strength.

"Angel... What's wrong?" The angel sighed, refusing to meet the demon's gaze.

"I just... I wanted to say goodbye."