XLIII: welcome to the family

"Baby?" I hear a soft whisper as someone tries to shake me awake. 

"Mmm," I groan softly, trying to get back to my comfortable nap. 

"Baby, we're 10 minutes away," I recognize Yoongi's voice as I rub the sleep from my eyes. I sit up and adjust my body, twisting and stretching as much as possible in the passenger seat. 

"Is Chunnie still sleeping?" I ask, sending Yoongi a soft smile. 

I turn back to look at Chunhei and see that she's still sleeping soundly in her seat. I quickly snap a picture of her and turn back around. 

"Still asleep?" Yoongi asks, earning him a nod and hum from me. 

"She must be super tired. I can tell she really liked it over in Busan," I smile softly, admiring my little girl sleeping peacefully. 

"I could tell too," Yoongi agrees, giving my hand that was still intertwined with his a gentle squeeze, "Thank you for bringing us to your family house, jagiya. Mama and papa were so welcoming and Chunhei and I felt at home. We've never felt that welcomed by Yuna's family." 

"Are her parents as bad as her?"

"Not really, but they believed their daughter too much. After Yuna left us, she told her parents that I was forcing her to be a stay-at-home mother and take care of Chunhei when she wanted to go out and model for some company." 

"She...didn't want to take care of her own child?" I ask, half amused and half angry, "And her parents just...agreed with it?" 

"Yup," Yoongi replies, jokingly emphasizing the letter P in his reply. 

"Clowns. Absolute clowns." 

"I agree," Yoongi laughs, "And we've arrived!" 

My smile quickly fades and is replaced by a look of fear and panic. 

Yoongi puts the car in park, completely turning to look at me. He takes one look at my face and lets out a laugh, "YN, you literally look like a ghost right now. Relax, jagi. They already love you!" 

"Yoon!" I whine, continuing to panic, "Don't laugh! I-" 

I'm suddenly cut off by an excited tapping on the car window. I jump and quickly turn around to look for the source of the noise. I'm met with a woman, who was waving and smiling brightly at me and Yoongi. 

"Eomma!" Yoongi laughs, quickly unbuckling his seatbelt and getting out of the car. He runs over and engulfs her in a tight embrace, placing a loving kiss on the top of her head. 

The woman laughs and hugs her son just as tightly. I unbuckle my seatbelt and slowly get out of the car, inwardly begging my legs not to turn to jello. I stand a few steps away from Yoongi and his mom, allowing them enough time to reunite. I take the time to peer into the backseat, sighing in relief as I see a still-sleeping Chunhei. 

"YN!" I break out of my thoughts as I'm pulled into a warm, tight embrace, "I'm so happy to finally meet you, love!" 

My eyes widen as Yoongi's mom holds me in her embrace, softly drawing circles on my back, the same way Yoongi does to comfort me. She pulls away but keeps her arms lightly gripped on my arms, as if she was taking in my whole appearance. 

Finally, I found my voice and muster up a few words to speak, "It's so nice to finally meet you, Mrs. Min!" 

She lets out an airy laugh, pulling me once again into a hug, "No need for that, my dear! Please, call me eomma!" 

I shoot Yoongi a relieved look as he shoots back a gummy smile and two thumbs up. I hug his mom tighter and let out a relieved sigh. 

"Thank you for such a wonderful welcome, eomma," I smile, pulling away from the hug.