Chapter 30

We stop for burgers at McDonalds at 1 AM while we drive back.

But I guess that's not really important.

He parks on the far side of my parking lot and turns off the car. He hasn't let go of my hand. It's greasy and kinda sticky from the food, but there's a part of me that just can't bring myself to do it. And after a couple seconds of us not talking, he asks if he could kiss me before I leave.

Cue another make-out session for ten minutes, Rory holds my hands while I try to get out. He doesn't want me to go, that's painfully clear. "The drive back's gonna suck aaaaaaaass," he says, laughing, except it's kinda, like, forced. He keeps eyeing me.

I don't want him to go, either. But I don't know where we could go that wouldn't get me into more shit with Mom and Dad. "Hey, at least you don't haveta go back 'nd deal with all my shit here," I point out. But I pause and still find myself asking, "...can I go back with you?"

"Yes," Rory says, almost immediately.

Fuck. Fuck. This just hurts. Why'd I do that? "Dude, I was joking," I say. I wasn't. I was. It's complicated. "My mom'd kill me, and then you, then you again if she found out I ran away with you to Connecticut."

Rory goes red, and looks away. "I-I knew that," he stammers, but I don't think he did.

God, he's cute when he's embarrassed.

"When're you heading back?" I ask, swinging on the passenger car door.

He glances back, trying to keep his eyes on me. "T-tonight, Princess. I got school on Monday."

"What, you buyin' a motel room?"

He shrugs. "Probably. Dad doesn't expect me back till tomorrow." He glances at the clock on the dashboard. "Later this afternoon."

"Don't buy a motel room. You can sleep in my room."

"Your bed?" he asks, leaning forward. Rory's got a new look on his face. Like he's desperate to be near me.

Also I wasn't thinking about that at all. Like, I just kinda thought he'd take the bed and I'd sleep on the floor or something. "Oh. No." But then I imagine him all cute and cuddled up next to me like during spring break and I immediately wish I never said that.

"Your parents would mind, right?"

Oh, fuck. That, too. "Yeah...they would. Mom 'nd Dad don't like you." Because that's what you say to your boyfriend at 2 AM right before he drives back to another fucking state. Go me. "N-no, it isn't that. It's, it's more like – "

He shrugs, but it's real clear that isn't what I should've said to him. "Don't care if they like me. Just matters if you like me."

I hate it when he says stuff like that. Because my heart, like, twists and it fucking hurts. But I still say, "Well, I do. I do like you." I said it like I'm trying to convince him that I just like him. Because I do just like him. YOU DON'T HAVE ANY PROOF. SHUT UP. "'nd I'm sorry I can't stay. I told Mom I'd be back before the sun comes up."

"Loser," he teases, but turns his head and stares hard at me. "I had...fun."

"Gross."

Rory grins. "...you?"

"I loved it, Rory."

I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY THAT. FOR FUCK'S SAKE WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

He opens his mouth to say something, but doesn't. He's gone real red. "Hey, uh...I'm..." Rory makes this, like, twist motion with his hand. "Sorry. For before."