42

A familiar scent surrounded her as she slowly opened her eyes. Soft bedding caressed her skin. The smooth fabric enveloped her, keeping her warm.

Maddy glanced up above her, her vision slowly easing in. She could see a massive chandelier hanging above her. It had a soft golden glow from the candles on it. She could not help but wonder how long it had taken to make and how they even got it inside.

She sat up with a yawn and looked around her. Everything was so grand and extravagant. The wooden bed frame had intricate details like vines and leaves all made from gold. Most ornaments in the room appeared to be made with gold as well. How did anyone afford such things.

"Are you feeling better Madeline?"

Maddy turned sharply, her head whipping around. Fear swelled in her chest as her eyes caught sight of Ivera sitting at the edge of the bed.

Maddy quickly lowered her gaze to stare at the sheets. No eye contact. She was not allowed eye contact.

Her hands were shaking as they tightly gripped the sheets. She tried to breathe slow, she had to calm down. It was painfully hard though. She was absolutely terrified. The woman put her on edge and made her feel extremely vulnerable. She made the queen feel threatened. She felt in danger whenever she was near the vampire.

"Do you feel better now pet?" Ivera asked again. Her tone was getting harsher. She was getting impatient. That was never good.

Maddy nodded softly. She had to give an answer.

She did however feel slightly better, slightly more relaxed in her current room. It had a far better atmosphere in comparison to the dungeon.

"I thought you would, considering this is the room the king stays in when he visits. His scent is rather strong here. I'm sure it makes you feel a little less stressed. It is a rather good reward for you consideringhow obedient you have been lately," Ivera said.

Maddy had to hold her mouth shut. She would not be feeling the way she was if she had not been taken from her mate.

At the castle she had at least seen him whilst they were distancing. She had at least been close to him.

Whilst being in a room with his scent helped a little it was not enough. The scent was old and useless.

The moment she was back with Xavier, Maddy was going to go against what she had once told Xavier. She was not going to stop him hurting Ivera unlike when those girls had conspired against her. She was going to make sure Xavier hated that vampire and made her suffer. She was certain that death was too kind for the thing of her nightmares.

"A supernatural mate would have held up much better than you. You are a weak little human. Your mating to the king is a disgrace. However the status of your race makes you void of any rights. I can control you and do with you as I wish."

Did the monster have to rub that in? She already knew all of that. She knew she was weak and pitiful.

The moment Maddy was free she was sure she would start campaigning for human rights on at the very least a basic level.

Maddy was certain that she would show the vampire how wrong she was. Madeline may have been a submissive and obedient pet but Maddy was not.

Maddy was certain that Ivera was swept up in madness by the plan she had concocted just months before her birth. She still believed her little Madeline would do as told. It was delusional.

Maddy wasn't one for doing what she was told. She did what she wanted. Sure right then it was to survive but once she was free she was going to make Ivera's life miserable.