32

Maddy's eyes were fixed on the setting of the sun. Her heart was clenching. Why was everything happening so fast.

It was already night time. In mere hours she would be preparing for one of the biggest moments of her life. She was about to become queen.

Her, an absolute nobody, a mere human girl born and raised on the streets with no parents or anything. She was going to be the queen of a regime that she had despised growing up.

She was absolutely terrified. What if the threat came to pass? What if her sickening nightmares played out in reality?

"Maddy stop staring out that window as if you are about to be attacked and go to bed. Tomorrow is a big day. You need to rest and relax," Xavier sighed.

"I'm scared. I've received death threats. I've been told I'm going to have to change who I am. I don't know if I can—"

"Hush darling. You can do this. No one else but you can. I will be with you every step of the way, holding your hand."

She sighed. "Sounds lovely but that's not going to help."

"How not? I will always love and protect you. You're so brave and strong, I know you will manage just fine."

"Xavier that's nice of you to say but I really.... I'm not ready. I don't think I'm the best fit for you either. I.... I am not a perfect angel—"

"And you don't need to be one."

"Xavier you have too much faith in me. You've seen it yourself I am broken. I can't fit in like a doll because I am not one. I will always feel a need to fight at least somewhere inside of me and it's not my fault... well I guess it partly is... I am used to living a life of danger and fear on the streets. Not only that but I have seen things before. Bad things. Xavier I have seen children lying in streets too starved to move, their bones protruding from their skin, too hungry to even move. You don't know what it's like to see that all around you and being unable to help because you don't have any food with you. I have lived in the opposite of luxury, I have lived in ruin and decay with death and... I am not the queen your people need. They need someone like them. Someone they can like and socialise with. Someone that is like them. I can't be—"

He grabbed her in his arms. "You are wrong Maddy. I don't need you to be anything for them. You just need to be my queen, that's all I need. I don't care about your past or your problems. I just want you."

"Answer me honestly would you want me if you actually had a choice? I have heard a phrase about beauty not mattering but if it truly didn't and there was no bond between us you would not have fallen in love with a human. You would have sneered at me in disgust when you looked at me on the streets, covered in dirt and grime, with my bones looking like sticks." She said.

She looked up to him. All she could see were his tearing eyes and she felt pain at the sight. It hurt him? How? She was only asking him a question. Something she desperately needed answers to. She knew what he would say. He had said it before. It was selfish and cruel she knew it but she needed him to tell her. She needed him to brush it all away.

He curled his fingers around her chin and secured her chin so he stared right into her emerald eyes. "I hate when you do this, when you try to prove that my love is unjustified. I know it is you trying to rationalize things but it needs to stop. I love you more than anything and tomorrow will be a declaration of that love. That's all you need to see tomorrow as. Not a chore. Not a hassle. Not some daunting mountain. Just a declaration of our love. Do you understand Madeline?"

She felt her heart racing. She usually hated it when her full name was said. Something about it had always irked her but suddenly it didn't sound too bad. At least not when he said it.

"I understand... but—"

"If you say 'but' that means you don't understand. Which means I haven't made it clear enough. I'm pretty lenient with you in comparison to how other Lycans, wolves and vampires treat their human mates but I can't handle it when you doubt my love. You are the thing that matters most to me. How long until you get that in your head? I am your mate. Maybe things would have been different without the bond, true but we have it and because of it I got to meet the most perfectly imperfect little human in the entire world. You are the only one for me. Maybe I needed a bond to find you in that little hiding spot you had but once I found you I had no intentions of ever letting you go. You are my world and tomorrow I will make sure the whole kingdom know exactly that."

"Please stop," Maddy whispered, blushing furiously.

"Do you understand yet?"

"I think I do—"

"Yes or no. No thinks. No maybes. Just yes or no," he demanded.

"Yes. I understand," she said shyly.

She gasped. He suddenly had pulled her up into the air and had secured his lips on hers. She wanted to laugh or giggle and scream for him to stop but he had her secured, except for her legs. The exact reason why she wanted to scream.

She did not enjoy floundering helplessly in the air without solid grounding.

He dropped his flushed mate on the bed.

"You could have given me a warning idiot! Or at least helped me wrap my legs around you not leave me kicking in mid air whilst you kissed me."

"Its not my fault you are too short to stand on your tippy toes, princess," he laughed sitting beside her.

"I thought it was queen?"

"I've decided to call you princess until you are crowned."

"I don't like being called princess."

"Really? Guess I'll have to do it more often."

She punched him in the arm. "No way."

He raised an eyebrow. "Hmmm maybe you are right. Princesses are strong like Lily. You are more of wild, untamed little... kitten."

"Wild, untamed, little kitten! How dare you?! I am none of those. Maybe wild. I like wild. Untamed isn't too bad. Don't use it again though, but little and kitten are a big fat n—"

"I agree they are a big fat yes. So glad you agree Little Kitty Princess."

"Grr!" She did a human growl and pounced at him.

Amused, Xavier leaned back and laughed as she fell on her stomach on her lap. He placed his fore arms on her back, keeping her pinned to his legs.

"You are tiny but you do make a good armrest and a very cute kitten."

"Get your arms off me," she whined kicking about.

Xavier smiled. Teasing her was so fun and a great way to get her out of her teenage/ young adult moods. It was also a great way for him to act like her age and have some fun, to have the fun he had never been able to when he was her age.

"Okay if you let me go... you can call me kitten, but not princess or little. Deal?" Maddy propositioned.

"But why should I accept? You are such a nice armrest and I like calling all those pet names. They suit you perfectly."

"If you don't let me go I'll scream."

"Wouldn't want that would we. Lily might think we were doing—"

"1. 2—"

He lifted his arms and laughed as she rolled off onto the floor, landing on the very soft and fluffy rug.

"Hey!"

"You said to let you go."

She pouted as she got up.

"I'm going to get you back for that!" She declared.

"I wonder how," he laughed.

A/N

I know it's been a while since I last updated. Thanks for all the support you guys have given me and thank you for respecting my decision to focus on my exams. I am still busy with exams but I thought it would be nice to give you a chapter because it is still quite a while till exams are done.

I hoped you enjoyed this chapter.