10

When Maddy woke up she was in the car she had first been taken in. The only car she had ever been in. She was restrained with leather and struggled about. She glared at the man across from her as he watched her, amused.

"What is going on? I thought we agreed for no more restraints and after I let you see me cry," she spat.

"If you looked clearly you would notice that I too am 'restrained', Maddy," he said.

She blinked and did notice a leather strap also over his waist and across his chest.

"So what is this some sort of kidnapping?"

"No. Funny that you think that though and we are not restrained. These are called seatbelts. They are there to protect you. We don't have to wear them, but I just did not want you falling off the seat and I didn't think you actually wanted to wake up on me as nice as that would be," he said.

"Well why are we in this thing exactly?" She asked, not wanting to feel like an idiot for much longer.

"I was thinking of a date. You remember this is where I marked you. I understand you probably did not enjoy it or really understand it but it is an important thing in our culture. That said be glad our pups, if we have any, will not be told that I claimed you in an alley."

"I would have preferred that over a car if claiming is so important."

"Please don't be resistant and difficult during this date. After what happened earlier I know you have an emotional and softer side, maybe it is small, but it is there. I wanted to do something romantic or at least a bit romantic. I want to get to know you. Not the you who hated my kind but just you. Tell me about yourself and I'll do the same."

"You know everything there is to know about me. All that's left is that my mother was a runaway slave who died giving birth to me. Not much else to know. I'm a stray human. Never had an owner and I'm glad about that."

"I'm sure there is. Your favourite colour. Your dreams. Living on the streets, if you could have done or been anything. Anything at all, what would it have been."

"Blue and I'm not quite sure. It would have been something maybe to do with science or something. As a child there was this library. I used to sneak apples from the ship next to it. But when I would pass it, from behind, you know to not get caught, I would stare at the masses of books and imagine what it would be like if I could have read them, learnt from them, have gone to school. All those things. It's honestly ridiculous. I didn't even know what I would have done. I just wanted to do something, be smart, have people look up to me instead of down on me. Like I said it's stupid."

"No it isn't. I can't give you that right now though but people will look up to you. You will be remembered as the first human Queen."

"Guess so. But I don't need nor want titles. They are meaningless they won't fix the problems my people are facing will they."

"I'm sorry Maddy. Please let's just enjoy our time together. These moments are far more important to me than you could imagine for more than a century I have waited for you. I have waited to have you with me and here you are. So beautiful like a flower, a rose. A beautiful rose."

"So since me telling you about myself is turning out more depressing than anything tell me more about yourself? That's how this works, right?"

"Well I really don't care about my age anymore, you lose track after 150. I have done a lot in my life. Not entirely proud of it all but what I value most is that I met you," he said.

Maddy raised an eyebrow amd crossed her arms.

"You said you'd tell me about yourself not give some cheesy, corny little introduction. You know I don't think we're quite compatible."