chapter 18: a big night

your POV-

I sat in a stiff, uncomfortable black chair and pulled at the white tablecloth. I massaged the bridge of my nose, it was still sore from the blow I took earlier. Liane and Dad were in deep conversation about the Cartmans moving in, but Cam, Eric, and I sat in silence. I stared at my menu and furrowed my brow. The thought of the Cartmans moving into my house made me sick to my stomach...and totally not hungry.

Our waiter came by and brought us ice waters and bread. He took our appetizer orders and left swiftly. I guess he could tell that tensions were high at the dinner table.

"Y/n," Dad cleared his throat, "Stop shaking your leg. You're moving the whole table."

I rolled my eyes. The only thing that was helping me pass time was now thrown out the window. I looked over at Eric and noticed how intensely he was observing his menu. I then realized that he was hiding his phone behind the menu and was scrolling through Twitter.

"Can't even go five minutes without your phone? That's sad." I said pulling his menu away from him.

"Shut the fuck up," he whispered before placing his menu back to where it originally resided.

When our waiter came back, my dad ordered some champagne for the table. He kept on talking about how today was a "special day" and that we needed to celebrate this "momentous occasion"... whatever that meant. Once our champs arrived dad stood up out of his chair and hit his knife against his glass.

I sunk in my chair. What the fuck is he doing?

"Ladies and Gentlemen," He began. I gagged. "I have a special announcement."

Everyone in the restaurant now turned to face us. My eyes widened asI glanced at some people at their tables, Cam was shielding his eyes out of embarrassment and Eric was just staring at Dad with raised brow.

"I had the honor of meeting Ms. Liane Cartman when I first moved to South Park. I bumped into her at the grocery store one day and she had the balls to ask me out for drinks! I will never regret saying yes," Dad spoke leaning his glass towards Liane.

I looked at Cam and whispered, "No fucking way."

"She's been through so much in her life and she has even helped me sort through my emotional baggage. I love this woman for all she is. For her past, present, and for her future. And hopefully I will have the honor to share that future with her. So, Liane, will you do me the honor..." Dad kneeled down and pulled out a tiny blue box, "Of being mine for eternity?"

Liane stood up and started to cry. He held her hand to her lips and shook her head yes.

"Is that a yes?" Dad asked, teasing her.

"Of course, Rick!" She sobbed.

They embraced and the restaurant cheered. Cam, Eric, and I exchanged looks and blinked.

I felt the world go blurry and fade out while everyone clapped. I took a sip of my water and felt the cold liquid flow down my throat. I looked to my left and saw my champagne. I picked it up, clinked it with my dad's glass, and chugged it. I looked over at Cam's full glass and chugged that one too.

Our orders came and Liane blotted her eyes before she began cutting her steak. The three of us kids were too shocked to say anything bitchy. Honestly! It came out of nowhere!

"How lucky am I to be spending such a wonderful night with my wonderful family," Dad smiled at Liane and rubbed her back.

Eric let out a scoff but I kicked his shin under the table.

"I, for one, am excited for this new chapter of our lives. My birth mother bailing on my family has been the best thing for us, shitty as that is, but it's true," I looked at Liane, "I have a feeling you are nothing like my mom. I see the way you treat Eric and it sort of makes me...jealous? You are so full of love, Liane. I wouldn't want my dad head over heels for anyone else." I smiled at her and saw Eric staring at his mother.

Though I completely BSed my "speech" to Liane, I think there was a part of me that actually believed it. I was kind of jealous of the relationship she had with her son. Motherly love was something I always craved and never had. Eric was such an asshole and he got that love 24/7. In my mind, he didn't deserve it.

I studied Eric. He really was beginning to take after his mother's looks. His hair was darkening, becoming the same brunette shade as his mother's. They had the same smile lines. Well, Lianes were more aged but Eric's were beginning to deepen. They had the same mannerisms when they talked. A lot of over exaggerated hand movements were prominent in the two. It was actually really sweet. I knew that Eric loved his mom more than anything in the world, even if it didn't always seem like it. He had a soft spot for her. Even if he would screw up (which was inevitable for him) she would forgive and forget. It was always them against the world.

Maybe that's why Eric sucks so much, I thought to myself. He never had a father and that really hurts him. Maybe he overcompensates for it by being so over the top? I shook these thoughts out of my head, Jesus Christ I'm actually feeling sympathy towards Eric Cartman.

We finished up dinner and stood in a group in the parking lot. I watched my breath start to make clouds in the air. It was a cold and clear night, a perfect night for a marriage proposal... Liane and Dad kissed goodbye and we all drove our separate ways home. Cam and I rode home in silence, nothing but music and the sound of the road make itself present in my car. I let silent tears fall down my face. They were both happy and sad tears. It just felt like everything was happening so fast. First they would move in, then there was supposed to be a wedding and then a honeymoon and who knows what happens after that. That night my conflicted tears didn't stop. I fell asleep and woke up the next morning on a damp pillow.

The next day, Cam and I skipped school to help the Cartmans move in. All of Eric's things went into the guest room next to mine. His room was nice and cozy, his walls were decorated with pictures of his friends and posters of things he enjoyed. Next to his bed was a picture of his long term girlfriend, Heidi Turner. Heidi Turner was the only other person Eric loved besides his mother. I had always wondered how they stayed together for so long until I saw them together. He was actually nice to her? She made him completely soft. She was his weakness.

As I stared at the picture, I noticed something. Heidi's brunette hair, light eyes, and round face were very similar to someone. That someone being Liane. Jesus, Oedipus complex much?

Eric barged into his room, with his grey cat resting in his arms, and began to groan.

"What the fuck are you doing in here?" He said, setting Mr. Kitty at the foot of his bed.

"I was just checking out the new room," I held up Heidi's framed pic, "Cute pictures." I said with a genuine smile.

Eric let out a short breathy laugh, "Don't touch that." He then said, regaining his douchey tude.

"Awww," I reached out and pinched his cheek, "Sweet, baby Eric has a soft spot!"

He swatted my hand away, "Okay, get the fuck out." He pushed me out of his room and shut the door.

I walked down stairs and saw Liane and Dad looking at a laptop. They were discussing wedding locations and themes. There was a permanent smile splayed across their faces.

I smiled too, but my heart sank. Everyone was moving on. Everyone seemed content. The world was revolving so quickly, yet I stayed the same.

The next couple weeks blended together. I woke up, went to school, drove home, did homework, ate dinner, either fought with Eric or watched a new episode of the Bachelorette with him, scrolled through Tiktok, and went to bed before midnight. I was quickly becoming depressed, and I think my friends were starting to notice it too.