chapter 6: first week

-your POV-

I drove home from the first day of school feeling pretty satisfied. Not everyone in school was a total asshat, I made up with Stan, I think I'm friends with that Red girl, and Clyde had my back the whole day. I turned down the radio and glanced over to my brother who was laughing at his phone.

"So," I cleared my throat, "I'm guessing your day went well."

"Yeah it was good," Cameron responded, still chuckling at his phone.

I let a few moments pass by in silence but Cameron's random outbursts of laughter started to get on my nerves.

"Dude, who are you texting? And could you do it a little quieter..." I said, letting out an exasperated sigh, "Or you could be as loud as you wanted... if you decide to talk to your super awesome sister about your first day of high school. Your choice. "

"I told you. It was good," Cameron rolled his eyes and looked out the window.

"Meet any friends? Are your teacher's fine? Did you find any potential girlfriends?"

"Geez, Dad," he punched my arm, "Yes. Yes. And Yes. I'm texting this kid, Ike, right now. He kicks ass man, like he's seriously the funniest kid I've ever met."

"Well I'm glad you made a friend. And I'm glad that my brother isn't the loser of his grade. You can go back to texting your little boyfriend now."

Cameron scoffed and turned the radio back on. He nodded his head along with the rhythm of the song that was playing. We pulled into our driveway and were met with Dad standing at the front door, waving at us. My brother and I got inside and flopped on the couch. Dad started to interrogate us about our first days. I looked at my brother, "And you thought my questions sucked."

We sat around the dinner table for the first time in our new house. Dad talked about his first day of work and Cameron and I began to take turns asking him random questions like he did to us. Dad gave us a "Touché" look and went back to munching on his salad. Cameron started to talk about his new friends when suddenly we heard sniffles from our father.

I turned to my Dad, "Um...Dad...You okay?"

Cameron looked at me and mouthed, "What did I say?"

Dad let out a small laugh and wiped his eyes, "Sorry guys. This is just the most normal life has felt in a long time."

It was true. I hadn't thought about Mom all day. Cam and I agreed with our father. We cheered him up for the rest of dinner, but Dad decided to head to bed early. Before he retreated to his room, he gave me a hug and told me how proud he was of me. I smiled and made my way upstairs.

I looked down at my phone and saw multiple new followers on my instagram. That was the best thing about the first days of school...stalking new people's instagram feeds. I looked through Clyde's following list and started to follow kids that I met on my first day. I followed Clyde's girlfriend, Bebe, and looked through her posts. I found tons of her with the rest of the girls in our small grade, but most pictures were with her and Stan's girlfriend...Wendy. She was so beautiful it was sickening. The worst part about her was that she was so nice. I didn't have a reason to hate her. I guess I was just jealous. Why was I jealous? I had no clue...I definitely didn't have feelings for Stan anymore. God. I just need to get some rest to set my mind straight.

I sat my phone on my bedside table and turned to my window.

This town is so weird...but I have a feeling that everything is going to be alright...I hope.

The next two days of school went by just fine. I sat with Clyde's group of friends at lunch everyday. I got really close with this kid named Tweek Tweak. I found myself treating him like my own kid??? He was just too pure and kind but he was a huge spaz. I guess he triggered my "mommy issues" and I felt like I needed to protect him from all things bad.