chapter 16: i'm not crazy, i promise

Your POV-

"Oh, Y/n. I think we should talk."

I sniffled and looked up at Kenny, "Yeah. We do."

He dropped me off in his room and left to take a shower. He assured me it wouldn't take long and closed the door behind him. His room smelled like a Black Ice air freshener mixed with moth balls. Posters were halfway hung on his walls and the paint around them was chipping. His mattress was pushed up against the left corner of his room and was partially made.

I curled up on his bed and stared at his wall. I heard footsteps and whispers from the hallway but decided to stay in bed. My body was so sore from the night before, I could hardly move. Suddenly, I heard a knock at the bedroom door.

"Y/n?" a soft voice spoke out, "It's Karen. Can I come in?"

I wiped my nose and eyes, "Oh yeah, sorry."

The door opened slowly. Karen was still in her pajamas, which were high wading sweatpants and a large t-shirt.

"No need to apologize," she smiled sweetly and sat next to me on Kenny's mattress, "I heard about last night. This is the first time he's died in front of you, isn't it?"

I stared at her, "Yes. Yes, Karen it's the first time my boyfriend has died in front of me."

"I know you think we're crazy but there's a reason for this. I'll let Kenny explain it to you, but I just want you to know that I understand. Seeing your big brother beheaded, get hit by a truck, or any other gruesome death under the sun will change you. It's," her voice started to shake, "It's horrible Y/n. I'm sorry you had to watch it happen too."

A singular tear fell down her cheek. I engulfed her in a hug and we sat there, silently sobbing in each other's arms, until Kenny walked into his room. Karen looked lovingly at her brother and took the cue to get up and go to her own room. She waved bye and wiped her eyes before making her way to her room across the hall.

I pulled Kenny down to the mattress with me and rested my head on his chest. His heart was beating slow and steadily, unlike mine. He stroked my hair and sighed.

"I'm sorry, Y/n."

"I just want to know what's going on, Ken."

He started from the beginning. His parents used to be quite the trailer trash. They went to a cult meeting every Friday for some cheap ass free beer to kickstart their benders. In that time, they were already raising their three year old son, Kevin. (Raising was not the right word for what they were doing to Kevin, it was more like abandonment.) One day, they were cranking out a quick one during the meeting. Kenny's mother, Carol, started to feel awfully sick after that screw. She assumed she was pregnant and that was that! But this pregnancy was unlike her previous one. Her morning sickness was cruel, she gained weight quickly, her ankles hurt all the time to the point where she could barely walk. After nine painful months, it was time to push her baby boy out into the world.

Carol almost died during childbirth but after a few days of recovery, was sent home. The first year was pretty easy, up until Kenny began to walk. He was fast and curious, which led him to learn how to escape their rundown house quite often. One day he teetered out of the house when his parents were mid shoot-up. He was struck by an RV and died immediately. Carol and Stewart were absolutely devastated and swore off of drugs. That night, both of them couldn't stop sobbing. Kevin was too young to understand, but knew something was wrong and that his baby brother was hurt.

The next morning Carol and Stewart woke up to a screaming crying baby in the next room over. When they ran to go check it out, they were met with their son Kenny in his bassinet. The two of them decided that their son being hit by a car was just a drug hazed memory. That was until the next time it happened. And the next. And the next.