2: The Invitation

Lexi

[Chapter 2: The Invitation]

"That was incredible!" Anna, my mom, exclaimed.

Dinner with the whole family including Liam is so much louder than I expected.

Liam being the cocky jerkass told his most fortunate events in the league of basketball.

He was transferred to Redfield High for a reason - that is - to be the rookie player in our school. The coach of Redfield saw his match with some primary team last year and said he has the potential to be a better player or even a captain as a matter of fact. He reluctantly accepted the school's offer. Well then, here he is!

Liam was seated beside my mom and in front of Emery while my dad, as always, have the top seat - which meant power and leadership.

Shrimp Pesto is served for dinner; I twisted a portion and led it to my mouth.

My eyes might have fallen from their sockets. UHM...Yummy!

Anna was a real cook, if she is not a housewife then she'll better be the five-star hotel's top chef.

Beside me was Emery who is munching down her plate in such a rush.

Maybe she didn't have lunch, I thought.

Looking at her made me chuckle,

"What?" She snapped.

"Nothing, just slow down. It looks like you haven't eaten in days!" The whole table burst into laughter. My mom settled down while my dad was still in his own pool of laughs.

"I didn't ate a while ago because I'm saving money, okay. It's not funny."

I gave her my most unconvinced smile, "Alright, alright. Whatever you say sissy, you might want to chew your food in the process?" I somehow stated.

What has her to save up like that? Does she even know what saving means? Okay. This is ridiculous.

"Okay, stop that Lexi. Leave your sister alone. " my dad interrupted as he compose himself and turned to Emery, "Em, just ask me if you need anything dear. Why would you need money anyways?" Heads were all turned to look at Emery. She blushed and shook her head, "I just wanted to change, I spend a lot before and I want to be different now, I can't always ask money from you dad."

That was surprising, Emery was no bad girl but she was no good girl as well.

She is up to something.

My dad smiled a genuine smile,"That's my good girl! But don't you ever miss lunch young lady."

"I won't, I promise." Emery mumbled.

Mom stood and gathered our empty platters. Following her, I got the glasses while Emery took a cloth to wipe the dining table. Silently, dad and Liam went to the living room and continued their talk about my cousin's game.

I was in the middle of drying the plates when my phone buzzed startling me. Finishing my chore as fast as I could and advanced to the front porch to see the message I just got. Emery was already outside taking in the cool breeze the night granted so I just followed her. She looked at me the moment I shut the door, "Hey"

"Hi Ems, what are you doing here?" Walking towards Emery, I swipe unlocked my phone.

Jake.

What does he want from me?

Emery scrutinized me, "Is everything okay?" Emery asked, feeling the situation at hand.

I sat on the front porch bench, "Uh.., Jake messaged me."