Ch. 8 page 2

It had already been a few weeks since Jen had left Tulsa. Johnny still missed her a lot but the days got easier as they went by. He already received one letter from her which read:
Dear Johnny,
I have made it to my new home in Texas safely and I already miss you dearly. Though my dad is still unsure about us being together my mother says she thinks you're a very nice boy. I'm excited to start school again but it'll hurt knowing I won't get to start the new school year with you. I wish I could hug you right now, I want to see you. I've sent something with the letter that I forgot to give you before I left. I hope you like it and take care of it. Tell Dally and Ponyboy I said hello.
Love, Jen xx
After reading the letter he excitedly opened the tiny, soft package that was sent with it. He opened it to see a blue bracelet. He smiled as he admired the shiny piece of jewelry in his hands. It fit perfectly around his wrist and he'd never take it off. He immediately pulled out a pen and and paper and wrote back to her.
Dear Jen,
Thank you so, so much for the bracelet! I'm happy I have something to remember you bye, if only I could see your face though :( I miss you a lot too. It feels as if it's been so long already. When will you come back?
Love, Johnny
He stuck the letter into an envelope and licked the glue on the edge. Before he shut it though he realized he wanted to send an item back to Jen. He was back home now in his own room and looked around at what special thing he could send to her. He didn't really have much, just some books and a couple coins. He opened his nightstand drawer and found it full of old school work and clutter. He had no idea what Jen would want. He found a broken comb, a yo-yo, and various other garbage. He then looked around his closet. It was only filled with two dress shirts, black t-shirts, and denim jackets and jeans. Then he rummaged beneath his bed. Out he pulled a half empty box of cigarettes. He sighed as he realized it wasn't that good a gift but it was small enough to fit in an envelope. He stuck it inside the envelope then copied the address from the letter he sent her. He ran outside to mail it but before he did he tore the letter back open and stuck a flower inside.
Maybe this'll make it nicer, he thought. He stuck the envelope closed again and placed the letter back into the mailbox, lifting up the red flag.