27

Alex

"Are you sure this is something I can tag along for?" Joan asked, glancing over at me from her spot in the passenger seat

"Of course." I pulled my eyes away from the road for just a fraction of a second, to give her an assuring nod. "I'm sure Roslana won't mind, and Christian thought you might like to check out the bakery with us. It's super hard to get any appointments with Tart of Hearts as is, so it should be an experience. I swear, we all made pies once, and now Christian thinks you're in love with sweets."

From what I knew, Joan enjoyed them. I wasn't sure if she saw cake tasting as a fun time, but I was positive this beat riding out the last two hours in the office.

"He's been working on trying to get to know you and Derek more too, so I'm sure this is his idea of bonding." Though the direction was lacking, I thought it was cute he wanted to put in the effort. Especially after our Hawaii trip didn't go as planned, I thought Christian wouldn't want to see these two for months.

When he messaged me about Joan, I asked if he was sure about me telling her. Up until this point, I hadn't spoken with anyone about the arranged wedding, besides Christian. He gave me the go ahead however, but made me swear I'd do my best to keep Derek out of it. I tried to explain that Derek could swear to secrecy, but Christian wasn't convinced. Hell, not even I was convinced.

It was safe to say that Joan took the news about as well as I did. First she had a few outbursts...

"A fucking wedding, Alex?! To who? Oh my god, I'm going to kill him. I might have to come for Slav's jugular. I might have to come for this insane families jugular. Shit, I'm coming for everyone involved. Even Yak- whatever the fuck his name was. What in the backwards ass shit is this?"

It felt good, having someone else validate my own feelings. Up until this point, I knew my feelings were valid, but it felt like I was sorta trudging through them alone. Way different when you had a bad bitch to assist in disliking another person for no other reason, than the fact that they're gorgeous and marrying your soulmate.

Joan then took it a step further. "I mean, what if she just... disappeared?"

After being slightly terrified by what Joan was suggesting, I realized it would probably be best to explain how Roslana couldn't possibly be interested in Christian... or men for that matter. With each twist I revealed to Joan, it sent her further spiraling.

"This is some next level Days of our Lives shit, Alex. On god."

That part had cracked me the fuck up, cause where was the lie? It seriously felt like I entered a soap opera.

Christian also explained that he'd be kind of busy with some work stuff while there, and he didn't want to force me into being alone with Roslana for the remainder of the meetings.
Although I was willing to work with her while Christian took some calls, I had to admit that having Joan there would be easier.