epilogue

+++++

+++++

Standing outside of the Cullen's house was like Deja Vu. Magnolia wrapped her arms around her torso as she waited. She could see Alice and Bella talking inside. It was like torture, watching them take so long. Luckily for Magnolia, Alice was the only exception to the no Cullen rule.

As she waited for the girls, she couldn't help her drifting eyes as they constantly roamed to the corner of the house that housed Jasper's room. She scolded herself for wanting even just a small glimpse of him and his golden locks.

As a gust of wind flew past, she took a deep breath. As the days went on, she found it harder and harder to stay away from Jasper and she hated herself for it. She didn't want to be like Bella, who let Edward back into her life without question. She loved the girl, but even Charlie thought that was stupid. She took another deep breath, cradling her head in her hands.

A cough from behind her caused her to jump. "Um...hello," She recognized that voice anywhere. Her face hardened as she turned to Jasper. "Could we talk? For just a moment."

He was nervous. Good, Magnolia thought. He should be. "Why should I listen to a word you say?"

He closed his eyes and paused. "You shouldn't. But, I'd like you to," He didn't need her to tell him, she presented her emotions very clearly. "Thank you," He sighed. "I'm not asking you for forgiveness, not in the slightest. But, I am asking for a chance to explain myself and my actions."

Magnolia took in a sharp breath. He was finally ready to talk. "Go ahead."

Jasper nodded, thankful. "That night, at Bella's party, I was the happiest I'd ever been. I had you to keep me in line and I was sure nothing could go wrong," Magnolia recalled his words that night. "But when I smelt her blood, I lost all sense of control. And then Edward told me how I hurt you, how I could've killed Bella. I was too ashamed to face you. When I was told we were leaving, I wanted so badly to tell you, to hold you..." He trailed off.

"Why didn't you?" Magnolia couldn't keep her voice from cracking. "I was so worried about you. But all I got was a cryptic goodbye from Alice."

"I know," He shook his head. "I was weak. I thought I couldn't face you. I listened from the car as Alice said goodbye and to this day regret my actions. There were so many points where I almost returned, but I thought you'd be happier without me."

Magnolia controlled her tears. "You idiot, Jasper. I wanted you to walk back into my life every day. But at some point, I stopped hoping. I was happy. But now, I don't know what to do now that you are back."

Jasper frowned deeply. "All I can ask is that we try again. Not at love, but friendship, trust."

Magnolia stared at him. Did she want him back? Against her better judgement, she spoke. "I guess we could...try."