26. Movie Dates Never End Well

+++++

+++++

Oh, how Magnolia wished she hadn't come to this movie. She sat next to Mike, while Bella sat in between the two boys. Mike was practically oozing with jealousy, and as the movie continued, he even started turning green. Though, as Magnolia soon found out, it wasn't from envy. "I have to use the restroom," Mike gagged as he ran out of the theatre.

On the screen, a man's head was just burst. "Should we go after him?" Magnolia whispered apprehensively. Bella looked between her and Jacob before nodding. The three stood up, having no trouble leaving the terrible movie, following Mike out the door.

They caught sight of him rushing into the men's room. Magnolia struggled with containing her laugh. "Jeez. What a marshmallow," Jacob joked.
Both girls laughed. The air no longer felt thick with just the three of them. "You should hold out for someone with a stronger stomach. Someone who laughs at the gore that makes weaker men vomit."

Magnolia felt the sudden turn and conversation and hung behind the two, though, it seemed like they had already forgotten about her. "Yeah, I'll keep my eye out for that," Bella chuckled. She seemed so comfortable with Jacob — so happy. Magnolia followed slowly behind as they walked to the staircase. "I feel bad, he's probably got that flu that's...going around."

Jacob watched her intently and reached for her hand. Bella pulled her hand back, clearly confused. "What? I can't hold your hand?"

They stood closer together, Magnolia couldn't believe what she was witnessing. "Of course you can," Bella sighed. "I just think it, you know, means something a little different to you."

Magnolia's eyes winded. What had happened in her and Bella's break in friendship. "Okay, well, tell me something. You like me, right?" Bella briefly caught Magnolia's eyes as she looked away from Jacob. She turned back to him, nodding. "And you think I'm sort of beautiful."

Bella began to frown, her face dropping. She shook her head. "Jake, please don't do this," Her whisper sounded scared. She sat down on the stairs. Magnolia decided to give them some space, moving further from them. She couldn't hear them anymore.

"Oh!" Mike's voice startled Magnolia. "What are you doing?" She turned to him and couldn't help her cringe. Mike was a sickly green and his eyes were bloodshot.

"Oh, Mike," Magnolia sighed. "Let's get you home." He softly took his arm and pulled him to Bella and Jacob. She chose to ignore Bella resting her head on Jacob's shoulder.

Mike sighed loudly. Magnolia let go of him, standing awkwardly. "Well...I need to go home," Jacob turned to him, suddenly looking very irritated by Mike's presence. "Look...I-I was sick before the movie," Jacob continued his cold, hard stare. "What? What is you're problem?"

Magnolia watched as the young boys' entire demeanour changed. He clutched his hands in fists as he spoke. "Right now, you're my problem. Feeling sick? Maybe you should go to the hospital," There was a pause as the two boys looked a each other. Suddenly, Jacob stood up, getting in Mike's face. "You want me to put you in the hospital?"

His voice rose. Bella grabbed his arm. "Jake, Jake, Jake, the movies over. What are you doing?"

Magnolia watched him curiously. His sudden shift in mood was unlike the kind boy. She watched as his teeth bared and his body shook and he was suddenly glistening with sweat. The conclusion was too easy to come to — Jacob's transformation was about to begin. "You're...really hot?" Bella let go of him.

Another symptom. Wolves' body temperatures were extremely high, much higher than humans. "Oh no," Magnolia shook her head. She had to stop him from possibly killing Mike, somehow. "Jacob, are you okay?" Magnolia piped up. Bella turned to her, suddenly realizing she was still there.

Jacob looked up at her and Magnolia could see the fear in his eyes. "I don't know what's happening," His breathing became heavy. "I gotta go." He started towards the exit.

Magnolia had to help him, she had to tell Billy what was happening. "I-I should take him home! Make sure he doesn't crash the car!" She didn't want to turn to see Bella's reaction, she just ran after Jacob. "Jacob! I can help! I know what's happening!"

Jacob whipped around, red with rage. "How could you? How do you know what's happening to me?"

He stopped, letting her approach. Magnolia sighed. "If you let me drive you home, I can tell Billy what's starting and he can help you."

Jacob stared at her in confusion. "Why can't you just tell me? What would my dad know?"

Magnolia groaned — there's that stubborn wolf she knew so well. "Just...listen to me, dammit." Her eyes flashed a deep blue and Jacob shut up.

He nodded, turning around and beginning to walk. "Come on, hurry."

The drive was short, but as they got closer to Forks, Jacob seemingly got worse, which meant only one thing — there was a vampire in Forks. Ignoring her now sweaty palms, she confirmed driving until she got to Jacob's house.

Billy was waiting outside as if he knew. "Let me talk to your dad," She quickly told Jacob as she left the car. Billy had a frown on his face as she approached. "It's happening, Billy. He's turning."

Billy sucked in his breath. "Thank you for helping him here, Magnolia," He smiled softly. "You can use the phone to call your parents to come and collect you...but would you mind helping him in?"

Magnolia shook her head, smiling sadly. "Of course not," She, with the help of Billy, walked Jacob in the house and to his bed. He immediately fell into a ruff sleep. "I'll use that phone now," She huffed.

Magnolia waited for two rings when the phone picked up. "Hello? Billy?" Her mother's voice sounded concerned.

"Hi, mom. It's just me." Magnolia sighed.

Ariana sighed on the other side. "Magnolia, why are you at the Black's?" Magnolia explained the entire movie ordeal and what was happening with Jacob. "So since I took the bus to the movies, I don't have a ride so I need you to come get me."

"No problem dear, I'll be there right away."

As Magnolia watched the thick forestry pass by outside of the car window, she couldn't help but worry about Jacob. "Will he be okay?" She found herself asking her mother.

To her surprise, Ariana didn't seem nervous at all. If anything, she looked too relaxed. "Of course he will," She said. "It's in his blood to go through this transformation. Don't forget that, Magnolia."

"Oh," Magnolia paused. Of course, Jacob would be okay, what a stupid question. But another, more scary thought moved into her mind. "If Paul and now Jacob have turned, that means there's a vampire in Forks again."

This caused her mother to tense, like a dark cloud formed over her head. "Yes. Yes it does."