Tapping

“Where is he?” Sherlock asked as Avery arrived at Baker Street sometime after four pm.
“Who?” Avery asked, confused.
“John. Where is he?”
“I don’t know. Isn’t he with you?”
Sherlock’s eyes narrowed. “I don’t have time to joke around.”
Avery blinked and took a step back. “Sherlock,” she said firmly, “I have not seen or contacted John since last night. I promise.”
Sherlock blinked back in surprise. Avery was nothing if not honest – as long as it was a promise, she would keep it. “He got a text from you.”
“Me?”
“Apparently.”
Avery scowled. “Give me your laptop.”
“What?”
“The laptop. Where is it?”
Sherlock gestured to John’s laptop. Avery pulled and opened it, accessing the web.
“What are you doing?” Sherlock asked from over her shoulder.
She gave a half grin. “I had John’s phone tapped.”
“Really?” Sherlock asked with slight interest.
“Mmm.”
“Now who did that?” Sherlock pondered out loud. “Surely none of your hornets. Someone new perhaps?”
Avery laughed. “As if I’d tell you.” The computer beeped. “Ah, there we are.”
“And what does the tapping do?”
“Records any messages received or sent. It can also track the phone. So it’s all good.”
She clicked through his past messages. “Hmm.”
“What?”
She clicked open a message. “Turns out I did send him a message. Or at least it looks like that on the surface.” She frowned at the message.
“21 Northumberland Street. Important. See you there.  AH” Avery read out. “AH,” Avery repeated with a frown. “Not my signature.”
“Mmm.” Sherlock said, equally confused.  There was an unspoken tension between them. They knew now that something was wrong. “So, where is he?”
She frowned and clicked a few buttons. Then she looked at him. “Grab your coat.”