seven

Friday mornings had been my favorite part of the school week since the seventh grade. There was nothing more refreshing than waking up on a game day, knowing I didn't have to think about AP Literature for two days, and that I got to cheer my boyfriend on. Except, this Friday was the polar opposite, and I woke up completely out of my element. We didn't have a game for the next two weeks, and I was plotting revenge against my boyfriend with his other girlfriend.

Tessa and I agreed the only way we could get revenge on him was if we both kept up the charade. After all, one scorned girlfriend would be the prime suspect, while two would be like pleading guilty instantly. I'd done my best to act normal around Danny, and it was easy, as long I didn't think about Tessa. But to be honest, that was almost always. I couldn't get her face out of my head, every time I looked at him.

It was 2:15, and I was waiting on Danny to get out of his last class so he could take me home. He had physics last, and it was at the other end of the school from the parking lot. He loved being close to the weight room on game days, but any other day of the week, it wasn't his favorite place to be at the end of the day. He didn't have practice today, they were given an off day by Coach Wilson, but they were expected to be ready by 9 a.m. tomorrow morning for playoffs practice. I reached into my backpack to grab my phone, which was vibrating like crazy. I figured it was Tessa, going over our plan for tomorrow morning, since she knew I was out of classes at 2:10. Looking at my phone to see her nameless contact on my screen, I scanned the parking lot for Danny before sliding the "answer" bar.

"Hey, I figured you'd text. I'm literally about to see Danny." I answered quickly, my nerves heightened as I saw more students walking out the doors of the building.

"Oh! No worries, I'll just be really quick." Tessa said with a girlish, easy laugh. "We're meeting at 9:30 tomorrow, right? I figured that would be enough time to let everything kick in." She had a devilish grin on her face, I could hear it in her voice. The more I thought about what we were going to do, the more guilty I felt. He was definitely a piece of work, and completely deserved all bad karma coming his way, but when I pictured Danny's embarrassed face, I wanted to tell Tessa I couldn't. I'd never done something like this, not even to get revenge on the upperclassman bully Stacy and I had when we first tried out for cheer.

"I think so, I'm getting it ready tonight. We're having a movie night in at his place." I watched the front doors of the school, worried Danny would walk up at any minute.

"Calling was easier than texting. No paper trail." Tessa said, answering my initial question. "See you in the morning, partner." There was silence on the line, and I knew she'd hung up. I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat, talking to Tessa made me extremely nervous. But not as nervous as Danny, who was walking out of the building with two underclassmen from the football team. One of them, I think his name was Bryce, was Danny's fill in as a sophomore. He was pretty good, I knew a lot of the coaches were excited for him to start next year.

They must've been discussing practice, because Danny looked like he was in game mode. He was a great teacher to his teammates, I knew he wanted to coach eventually. His life plan was to play in college, get drafted for the 49ers or the Seahawks, and settle down as a coach. I fit perfectly into the plan, as long as I went to USC. I was still undecided, if I was honest. I'd been wanting to go to Gonzaga for the last few years, and I'd been accepted early two months ago. I was just waiting on my voice audition to get a good scholarship. Being two states away from my parents was not something I was interested in.

"Danny!" I called out when he was within earshot, and my heart sunk as I watched his eyes light up with the realization I was waiting for him.

"I'll catch you guys at practice tomorrow. Nine sharp." I heard him say to the underclassmen, and they both headed off in the direction of their buses. Danny made a beeline for me. "Hey, baby." He said when he was in front of me. I instinctively wrapped my arms around him, and breathed in his familiar scent. He wore Acqua Di Gio daily, it was my birthday gift to him over the summer.