one

It was a chilly, Friday night in Autumn like any other. The entire lakeside town of Barton was crammed into the bleachers of the local high school's football field watching their alumna beat the opposing team. There was nothing as small-town as a Friday night high school football game, but it always proved to be entertaining. One player in particular had all eyes on him, as per usual.

Daniel Schwinn raced effortlessly across the yard lines, beating the defense to the end zone. Danny was the fastest running back Barton Memorial had seen in two decades, since his late Uncle Daryl, and the entire town was in awe of him. Rightfully so, as he completed the pass from his teammate, scoring for Barton.

"Just like that, folks, Schwinn's taking us to the playoffs!" The announcer cheered over the PA system, and the crowd joined. They had missed the playoffs last season, and the goal for this past year was to take Barton to state and make up for the lost opportunity.

"Abby!" I turned around to see my best friend, Stacy, putting her pom poms down on the band bleachers behind us. "Should we go in there?" I looked back at Danny to see his eyes scanning the cheer squad on the sidelines for me, and his face lit up when he found me. I blew him a kiss and he grinned, shaking his head which caused his shaggy brown hair to fall in his face, before focusing back on his friends.

Aside from being great at football, Danny Schwinn was the love of my life. We had been together for just shy of three years, and I knew loved him with every fiber of my being.

"Maybe we should give it a moment, let them be boys." I said, but Stacy was already onto the next thing, putting her jacket on and letting her hair down.

"You're so weird. If Danny was my boyfriend, I'd race out there in a heartbeat to make out with him." Stacy shrugged her shoulders, making me laugh. Stacy McMahon was my oldest friend, and we had a comfortable friendship since we'd known each other for almost a decade and a half. She was always blunt about how I should be more hands-on with my relationship, even though I was comfortable.

"Well, he's mine, and I'm going to give him some space before I spend all day with him tomorrow." I told her, and she rolled her eyes. "Besides, aren't we all still on for tacos tonight?"

"Oh my god, I forgot. I cannot wait to have nachos shoveled in my mouth." Stacy moaned.

"You're drooling. Close your mouth, please." I shook my head in disbelief. The girl weighed all of 115 pounds soaking wet; I was absolutely jealous of how she could slam down two McDonald's quarter pounders with cheese and cheer fifteen minutes later without getting sick. Her older sister was the same, genetics had truly favored the McMahon family.

"Did I hear someone say nachos?" A pair of strong arms wrapped around my shoulders, and I felt Danny kiss the top of my head before he spun me around. His eyes were bright with pure happiness, and he flashed his lopsided smile at me.

"That was a great last play, babe." I wrapped my arms around his waist. "Hi."

"Hi," He chuckled, and pulled me in tighter. "I've been waiting to see you all day."

"Would you two please get a room?" Rhys Tyler, Danny's best friend and senior co-captain, whined. "I mean, you're really killing my eligible bachelor status here, Schwinn." He chuckled. Rhys had just recently broken up with his boyfriend of a year, and was uncomfortably single.

"Get over yourself, Tyler." Danny snorted, and kissed me again. He hovered over my lips for a moment, catching his breath. "But we should probably get some food." He laughed. "I'm starving after that game."

"I love you." I kissed him on the cheek before pulling away to pack up my duffel bag. Stacy was already on the move to the locker rooms, and I said my goodbyes to Danny and Rhys before racing to catch up with her.