fifteen

I'd never tried on so many different lip colors in my life. Tessa had forced me to try a multitude of lip products, from nude to fuchsia, and only let me settle for a nude gloss when I begged and pleaded to leave with my sanity.

It was just past eight in the evening, and I had just pulled into the driveway, ready to go inside and collapse in my bed. My dad's car was here, which thankfully meant my mom had cooked a full, fancy dinner. I could smell the aroma of something Italian wafting towards me as I unlocked the front door, proving my assumption.

When I walked in, I heard my name spoken in a hushed tone, followed shortly by Danny's. The voices were coming from the kitchen, and I could only assume they belonged to my mom and dad. If it weren't for Tony's shrill 'yip' when he heard the door latch, they would've continued.

"Abby?" My mom's voice was curious.

"Hi, I'm home!" I called out, and reached down to scratch Tony behind the ears when he skidded to a stop at my feet. "Hi, sweet boy." I scooped him up in my arms and kissed the top of his head. He squirmed until I put him down at the kitchen entrance.

"Hi, baby." My mom beamed at me as I entered. They were both seated at the kitchen table, my dad had a glass of whiskey next to his plate that had once homed something in a pasta sauce. "Your dad wanted lasagna. I was about to put the rest in the fridge for you, it's sitting on the stove." She gestured toward the glass pan with half a casserole left.

"Thanks, I'm starving." I eyed my parents suspiciously before turning my back to them and grabbing a plate from the cupboard. Why had they been so hushed, I wondered. I grabbed the serving spatula and put a hearty slice of lasagna on my plate. When I looked up, my parents both quickly averted my gaze. I sighed and set the plate down with a quiet clank.

"Okay, what is going on?" I asked, putting a hand on my hip as I stabbed at my lasagna with a fork in the other hand. I popped a piece in my mouth, waiting for them to speak.

My dad looked at my mom like a fish out of water before he began talking, but she interrupted him with a short and sweet "Nothing."

I narrowed my eyes at my dad, who eventually broke down. "Lucy, just ask her."

"Jake." My mom quipped, and rolled her eyes with a defiant sigh as she realized he wasn't going to give up. "Fine."

"What is going on?" I asked again, and sat down on the barstool at the island. I pushed my plate in front of me, and set my fork down.

"Okay, your dad and I have just noticed you've been spending quite a lot more time away from home, and we just wanted to know what you've been up to." She started cautiously. "Mainly, how much private time you've been spending with Danny."

My mouth dropped, realizing quickly where this was going. I immediately wanted to gag, I could not have the birds and bees talk with my dad in the same room. I didn't even want to have the discussion with my mom. I started to speak, but my mom put up her finger to stop me.

"Don't interrupt me, Abby." My mom said, before I could defend myself. "Jake, would you mind giving us some space?" She turned to my dad, giving him a lovingly innocent look.

"Of course." He ducked politely out of the chair, taking his glass of whiskey in his hand. He pecked my mom on the cheek, before disappearing from the kitchen. She watched until he was out of sight, and readjusted herself in her seat.

"Baby, I know you're intimate with Danny. But I want to make sure you're being safe." My eyes had to be as big as dinner plates as she spoke.

"Mom, please. This is weird." I whined, wanting to get out of that kitchen as fast as I could.