fourteen

"You really have no idea what you're wearing for Halloween?"

It was Monday afternoon, and I was sprawled out on my bed trying to focus on my math homework, but was on the phone with Tessa instead. We'd been scheming - honestly, not much more than giggling about Danny's face on Friday - and the topic of Halloween came up. Normally, Danny and I would come up with something together, but this year we hadn't even discussed our plan. It had been such a busy fall with college prep and everything, that I hadn't even thought about it. Which, I was currently being ridiculed by Tessa for.

"No, I don't. Normally we do a couples thing, but obviously I'm not really in the whole romantic kind of mood." I said the last bit flatly.

"Yeah, but you still have to do something." I pictured her rolling her eyes and rummaging through her closet for her own costume. "I've had mine picked since Valentine's Day. I'm going to be the Scarlet Witch, but make it hot." I could hear the smile in her voice, she was obviously proud of her choice. I stifled a giggle, and she laughed. "Don't knock it until you see it in action. I'll be the hottest one on Halloween."

"I'm just trying to imagine one of the strongest superheroes dressed in literal lingerie."

"So you're also a Marvel fan." Tessa said. "What's your favorite MCU movie?"

"I love Iron Man, I actually used to read the comics when I was younger." I admitted, and but my lip. I never told anyone I read comics, out of fear they'd think I was weird. "But not a ton, just Iron Man and the Hulk." I quickly saved myself.

"I used to read the comics, I still have a ton of them in a box somewhere." Tessa said coolly, and I rolled my eyes. Of course, she read comics. Of course. Why wouldn't she do something so weird but still so cool?

I thought about our current discussion, and pictured Danny and I together at the annual Halloween party. We both didn't like to drink; for Danny, it impaired his playing, and for me, my driving home to my parents. Even though we didn't drink, we still had fun every year. That was one of the things I was going to miss the most about Danny, having someone on the same level of maturity as myself close.

"I have an idea." I said quickly, as a thought abruptly popped in my head.

"Okay, I like this new idea-plotting Abby. Continue."

"There's this party, it's at a different house every year, but it's always the same people. Danny and I go together every year." I waited for Tessa to catch on and interrupt, but she let me go on. "How cruel would it be if Danny and I went, and you also showed up? It would absolutely destroy him if I broke up with him in front of his friends."

"I like it. But now, we have to get a costume for you." I could hear the corners of her lips inching up into a cruel grin. "What if you did another a Marvel superhero? Like Valkyrie or something?" She was cooler with every suggestion.

"I could easily do Valkyrie."

"But it has to be hot. Which, won't be hard for you, but I want Danny to realize what he's losing with both of us." Tessa said. I bit my lip, thinking about her words. Did I hear her right? Did she just call me hot, or did I just hear her wrong? As long as she promised to not make a move on me, it was fine. I had to clear my throat to rid the lump that was forming.

"Yeah, he's definitely losing a lot." I said, trying to cool myself down.

"So, shopping tomorrow? I've got to finish my homework before my dad gets on me about medical school for the fifth time today." Tessa said. "I told my dad I wanted to be a neurosurgeon like him when I was eight, and he's never let it go."

"Wait, like, hanging out? Without pranking Danny?" I asked innocently.

"Well, technically it's for our Danny takedown." Tessa answered. "We have to make sure you look better than ever."