epilogue: abby

"I want to give a special welcome to our introductory music theory professor—and newest queer music leader—Dr. Abigail Reynolds Oliver."

The auditorium of USC Thornton School of Music, or where I lectured in three days a week, was the most packed it had been all semester, save for a few performances. As I stood in front of the audience packed full of my students, colleagues, and loved ones, I felt my eyes tear up a bit. Eleven years ago, I was a spineless kid touring the university, and it felt like a completely different lifetime. I was so afraid of any one piece falling out of line; I had to attend USC, I had to keep my 4.25 GPA with my AP classes, I had to be the reserved girl everyone said I was.

I had never been more proud of myself in my adult life. I walked across the stage to the mic, where my friend and director of music stood, and grabbed the second mic from her hand.

"Thank you, Dr. Moyer." I said once the audience had calmed down a bit. "And thank you everyone for being here tonight, this couldn't have been done without you."

"Well, we certainly couldn't have put on this performance tonight without you, Abigail." Dr. Moyer smiled and gestures towards the stage behind her. "This entire ensemble was born simply from your love for the queer community, and our students and faculty who needed a space where they could exist wholly. I'm so grateful you've agreed to do this indefinitely, even though you'll soon be leaving us for a short maternity leave."

"Thank you for giving us the space to create this incredible body of music, the students and myself are so grateful for you, Dr. Moyer." I placed a hand on my abdomen, and smiled warmly. "Don't worry, after a few months of only talking to my kids and wife, I will be bursting at the seams to come back to adulthood." I laughed. I was just near nine months pregnant with my third baby, and Tessa and I agreed this would be our last. We felt complete knowing our son was coming, and our twin daughters would have a little brother to love and play with.

"We already miss you," Dr. Moyer—Kimberly—began. "There will be a cocktail hour after the performance, stay and celebrate Dr. Reynolds Oliver's accomplishments with me. Remember to silence your phones and please be seated. Thank you all for coming, and please enjoy the show." With that, she was exiting the stage. I turned around as the curtain opened, to see the choral ensemble ready for their performance. I smiled brightly at my students, glad that they'd been given the chance to shine.

"Let's rock this shit," I whispered to them, earning a muffled laugh. I turned back around to the audience one more time.

"Welcome to USC's first ever Queer Chorale Autumnal Showcase, we hope you enjoy our selection of pieces for you this evening."