TWENTY-SIX

Tom's POV
(cont.)

I knew it.

She was under a spell. Imperius.

My fists were clenched when I heard Professor Trelawney said someone had cursed her with an Imperius Curse.

She did not deserve this.

She's not safe. And this wasn't good.

I have to keep her safe.

I didn't know why, but I had the desire to keep her safe. She had made me feel useful, needed, and appreciated.

That's when I realised.

Amortentia.

I smelled her because I had the desire to protect her.

And I was determined about it. I will not let anyone hurt her. Trust me when I said—
I was shaking in anger when I heard the rumours about her getting kicked by that Russian guy in the chest during the final task.

I felt a little regret for not hurting him back. But I was quite satisfied to see her punching him in the face.

Splendid.

_____

I can't help myself. I must purify this wizarding community. I had to do something that won't make her hate me.

I wanted her to accept me.

Stay by my side.

"I'll help you lift this Imperius Curse on you and find the culprit. This would be the first and the last curse you would have because the next time, there wouldn't be a next time. I will always protect you. You're safe with me. I promise."

I stared at her with hopeful eyes. I touched her hand, wanting to hold it tighter but she pulled away.

Wasn't I being persuasive enough?

She rejected the offer.

She didn't want me to keep her safe.

She rejected me.

"I'm really disappointed, Riddle."

She looked so heartbroken.

"I appreciated you a lot. You were there to help me even when I didn't ask for it. You were kind to me but I wonder why you can't be kind to anybody else. Goodbye, Riddle."

No...

"Please don't—"

Before I could finish the sentence, I was thrown away by her power, straight to the wall. It was painful but it wasn't as painful seeing her walking away.

She's going back to the future. I'll never see her again.

Please don't leave me.

_____

"A student is drowning in the lake! We saw the ice melted and she fell straight away!"

I was wandering the hallway when a girl from our class came up to me.

Veronica called out my name while running towards me. I listened carefully to what she was saying and nodded, "Do you know the student? Do you recognise here?"

"It's Primrose Quinton!"

My blood went cold.

My eyes widened and I froze there for a few seconds.

Primrose. Drowning.

She was sleepwalking and walked to the lake.

The Imperius Curse!