Ch 28: Sour Note

I woke from my tortured dreams to see that the dawning of a new day had come hours ago. The sun was out and taunting me with its revealing rays.

I huddled under the covers and thought about what a wreck the curse had reduced me to the previous night. It made me appreciate the fact that Serge had surely been staying within our radius this entire time.

His life had surely been disrupted through his efforts to maintain my comfort levels.

I was not so selfless as to suggest that he simply go about his business while I dealt with hours of cold terror, but perhaps I could go places with him that he needed to go. My visit with Doctor Alexi had not been too bad. I could manage more moments like that, especially if people were not harassing me with intrusive questions.

I ignored the flaring of anxiety at the thought as I peeked out my window. It still looked miserable outside so I decided I could take one more day off of running.

I got ready, pulled on clothes and a sweater and ventured out of my room.

I walked down the hall and to my surprise the prickles on my neck told me he was there. I glanced almost towards him. He was sitting at the island counter with a cup of coffee and a pile of papers.

"Good morning," he said. He sounded reluctant.

"G-good morning," I responded. He seemed like he was going to get up, but I spoke again, "I-I can g-get my own br-breakfast."

The shivers running through me were my reward for my forwardness.

His response was slow. "If you're sure."

I nodded, hoping he was looking. I understood he had accepted my decision when I heard him flipping a piece of paper.

I went into the kitchen and began the painstaking task of finding cereal. I was surprised when he did not interfere, but perhaps I should not have been. He seemed to treat my word as law.

The curse did not like that stray thought. Terrified shivers seized me so harshly that I dropped my spoon.

The clatter was loud in the quiet house. I scrambled to pick it up again. My heart beat frantically as I grasped the metal handle and scooped it up.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded harder than I needed to. I was perfectly fine. Perfectly so. The curse rolled over me again.

Still, I managed to get my breakfast without further incident.

After I sat and ate my sawdust flavoured cereal, I broached the subject through my constricted throat. "S-So, um," I began.

It was a great, confident start. The curse seized me for my sass. You would think I would learn, but sometimes my frustration just floated out in witty bubbles.

From the corner of my eye I saw Serge look towards me. "Are you wondering where Karen is?" he asked. "I gave her the morning off to see to her children."

I shook my head.

"Do you want me to leave the room?" he offered.

I shook more emphatically.

"Then?"

Now that I had the invitation, the curse released me just a hair to answer. "I w-was thinking that y-y-you've been st-stuck here because of m-me..."

"Don't worry about that, Elise. Everything I need is being brought to me, it's not a problem."

"B-but... Aren't y-y-you sick of b-being in this pl-place all the time?" I dared to ask.