Ch 34: For the Briefest Moment

After Leah left, I quickly finished my breakfast and returned to my room. I showered and then went to my closet and swept through the choices Moramay had sent me.

I tried to make a decision. I wondered what outfit would say, "I'm a thrall, but I'm fighting the magic?"

I felt a wave of shivers wash through my blood. Definitely something warm if I intended to challenge the curse.

My clothing did not give me an answer. I found some jeans and a sweater I wore at my father's pack office and slipped into them.

I returned to the kitchen. Karen had already cleaned up breakfast. "I'm packing a lunch for you and Serge," she informed me.

"Thanks," I said. I supposed it would be for the day then. Serge was obviously still off getting ready, so I returned to my room. I put a book, my phone, my MP3 player, and anything else I thought might come in handy in my backpack and left my room again with it hanging against my back.

This time, Serge was waiting for me. I forced a smile. I did not want him second guessing my decision to go along with him.

We left his house and got into his truck. I watched the scenery go by during the short drive to his pack office.

The building looked fairly modern from the outside and in good condition. Serge parked right beside the entrance and I followed him inside.

The interior was buzzing with activity. Everyone was moving around determinedly. I got the feeling that even if Serge had lost the trust of the regular people of his territory by cursing me, he had not lost the faith of those with whom he most closely associated.

I was glad, because I found myself worrying about his isolation on more than one occasion, at least until the curse saw fit to punish me again for getting out of line when my thoughts strayed in that direction.

Not knowing where it was safe to look with all the pack members rushing around, I kept my gaze trained on the floor. I was pleased when I heard Jodi's voice and the click of her heels as she came up beside me. I risked a glance at her face. She wore a half smile.

"I'm supposed to set you up in your own space," she explained.

I nodded and followed her.

I was directed into a small empty office. "Congratulations, I guess you work here now," she said.

I was not sure if she was kidding or serious, but I was not concerned either way. I had brought stuff to occupy myself if I were to wait idly and I had helped often enough with my father that I doubted it would be too hard to assist.

It might even be a nice change of pace to do something useful. Perhaps I might actually be an asset in a small way, I thought as shivers rushed over me.

I asked through my nervous cloud of ice, "Is there something I can do?"

Jodi paused and I glanced at her face. She looked a bit surprised and then she shrugged. "I can ask Leah if you really want."

"Yeah."

"She's a slave driver, I warn you."

I chuckled. "And I'm a thr-thrall, a match made in heaven."

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

I was left sitting alone in the room to muse over her words.

* * * * * * * * *

I pulled out my things from my bag and placed them on the desk. At least until Jodi came back, I could occupy myself with reading. I opened the novel to where I had left off.