Ch 6: Impossible Questions

We finished placing my things in drawers; although in truth it was mostly Karen, because it seemed to take me five minutes to move just one measly item from the bed to the dresser.

We put my toiletries in the small attached bathroom next.

Perhaps to speed up the process, Karen gathered everything in one load and put them on the counter for us to sort from there.

I caught a glimpse of her face in the mirror by accident.

She had a kind looking face, straight light brown hair, and the sight of her made me feel like there was cold fire burning in my sockets.

I looked away quickly and was careful to keep my eyes away from the mirror as much as I did from her face.

When we finished, she coaxed me from my room to the kitchen and I was given a plate with various food much like what I had picked at when Matthias was there.

I knew I was supposed to eat, so I tried, but the food was sawdust in my mouth, even if my hands could manage to be steady enough to get it there.

Karen was quiet for a long moment.  I could hear she was eating something herself.  "Would it help you if I ordered you to eat, Elise?"

I considered.  I did not want to waste away, but neither did I want to feel so anxious to eat that I choked.  "C-could I try a bit longer?" I asked.

"Of course."  Another pause.  "It seems you're finding your voice, just a bit.  I think it's a good sign," she said.

Maybe, I certainly hoped so, even if hope made my heart pound with fear.

This fear at least made sense.  If I hoped too much I might end up crushed under my disappointment.  I already had enough weight upon me from the curse's magic chains.

Karen continued, "I spoke with your father earlier when he called.  He wants to talk to you.  You can use my phone if you want."

I wanted to talk to my father, I really did, but at the same time I thought it would just hurt too much.  "I...  Maybe later?" I pleaded and quivered.

"Of course.  I'll let him know," Karen agreed easily.  "Anyway, I think I've pushed you far enough for today."

I agreed, but the curse did not so I had no response.

I could hear the hesitation in her voice.  "Did you think you'll be able to sleep tonight?"

"M-maybe."  I doubted it.

"Would it help if I ordered you to?"

Would it help, or would I find myself in the bed unable to move until someone came to get me?  I managed a shrug.

"I'm going to try," she said.  The tremor in her voice did not make me feel less afraid.

Though I felt on the edge of panic, I certainly did not want to disagree with a pack member.  I stopped breathing as I waited.

"Elise, I'm ordering you to take care of your physical needs, as you normally would have."

I nodded.

She apologized, "I hope you understand I'm sorry for doing that, but I'm worried you'll waste away in time if I don't."

I popped another cracker into my mouth, probably a side effect of being told to take care of myself, before I left the kitchen and returned to my room.

I focused on her orders to get myself ready and managed to take off my clothing and force myself into the shower.

I got the water to the right temperature and then I huddled on the floor.  The water streamed over me while I searched for the strength to pick up the bottle of my shampoo and wash my hair.

Trifecta: Ice [Complete]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें