Ch 17: My Consolation

Serge's POV

I could hear her laughter.  I knew I should stay put and keep making my way through the piles of work I had managed to accrue in a mere handful of inattentive days.  I knew I should just stay out of sight, but the sound called to me like a siren song.

I told myself a short break might help me concentrate.  I got up, left my office, and slipped quietly down the hall, hoping not to disturb her.

Elise was in my living room.  She and her friend were sitting on one of the couches.  They had a console hooked up to my television and there were a pile of snacks on the coffee table. It looked like a long lost scene from my childhood before training to be the leader and then the leadership itself consumed most of my time.

Still, I was not surprised at the scene before me.  Nicholas had called and let me know that Matthias was coming to visit for the day.  Although it had been phrased as a request, it had been a clear demand.  Since the incident, Nicholas had been filled with understandable cold fury whenever I spoke to him.

I gave my consent, because I thought spending a relaxing day with her friend might help her feel more comfortable.  I had no wish to deny her anything.

Plus, the added bonus was I could keep avoiding her on Karen's day off without leaving her all alone to fend for herself.

Yet, for some irrational reason, I had left my work to come and see what she was doing.

I could tell she had not yet noticed I was nearby, because she looked relaxed and natural as she punched away at the controller in her hand, focused on the screen.  She did not look afraid; I could see no shaking.  Was she having a moment of respite from what I had done to her?

I watched as she jumped up and playfully punched Matthias with a tap so light he probably barely even felt it.

"You jerk!" she accused with a teasing smile.

He shrugged and laughed at her.

"Okay, again," she demanded, but she smiled wider despite her loss.

"Want to play another game instead?" he offered.

"Hell no, I'm going to k-kick your butt at this one fair and square."

"How many consecutive losses before you give up?" he asked.

She playfully smacked him again before flopping back down on the couch beside him.  "I'll n-never give up."

I felt something dark and wrong in my gut, something that I had no business feeling. 

I did not like how close she was sitting to him; I did not like her laughing with him.  I brushed away the clawing emotions that I had no right to feel.

"Ugh, what if I just let you win?" He teased.

Her pretty face took on a look of mock horror.  "You better not...". Her words trailed off.

I understood she had noticed I was there, because she was almost looking in my direction now, but not quite.

"Sorry," I said.

Matthias' gaze swung to me and he glowered at me threateningly.  I ignored him and looked at Elise.

"Didn't mean to interrupt.  I'm just heading outside for a bit," I lied.  I felt out of place even though they were on my couch using my television in my home.

I made my way outside, but it was not like I could truly leave.  If I went too far away she would feel it.  That one day that she and Karen had gone a touch too far had confirmed what I and my thrall had instinctively known to be true and what everyone had understood from the old stories.