Ch 40: Home

Serge's POV

The battle was as brutal and bloody as any fight I had ever been in with the eastern wolves.

Landon was relentless.  He drew first blood and his defense was impeccable.  I landed more than one attack, but none were serious enough to level the playing field and make up for the blood that continued to seep from my left side.  The loss began to wear down my strength and I was at a clear disadvantage.

I was rapidly running out of opportunities to overcome Landon.  I whirled and snapped with my canines where he was, but he was gone.  I felt slightly light headed.

Then Landon slammed me and my paws betrayed me.  I slammed to the ground and time seemed to stop.

My senses were as if through a veil; the taste of iron, the smell of sweat and aggression, the buzz of the crowd as they watched me fall.  Landon stood triumphantly over me and the truth of his yellow eyes was he was ready for the kill.

My mind felt curiously unmoored as I understood I had reached the end of my lifetime.  Twenty-five years of striving and for what?  Perhaps it was better this way.  A few might mourn me, but they would move on.  Though I had little hope, perhaps Landon would be as skilled a leader as he was a fighter.

I could only hope I had not failed my people in my final minutes.

A high, distressed cry cut through the haze of noise around me and I adjusted my ears towards the sound.

My eyes found Elise and I realized she was struggling as Matthias held her in place.  Had she tried to come to my aid?

I could only be grateful that he was there to curb the magic and look after her.

She would be fine, even if the curse rebounded to Landon rather than dissipated.  Her friend would ensure it.  I had seen the way he cared for her.  I hated it, but at the same time it was a balm for my worries.

Though I could not make out the words, he was speaking sense to her, low and urgent.

My ears perked up at the sound of her voice.

"But Matt, S-Serge."

My name, finally on the lips of the one for whom I could never dare admit the extent of my growing feelings.

It was a sweet memento to send me on my way.  I hoped she would be free.  I closed my eyes.

Sharp teeth touched my neck.  A choked sob met my ears.

A flash of memory.  I had promised her, had I not?  I had promised to try.

How could I fail her?  There was a reason I had promised to try to survive.

We did not know what would happen to her if I died in the challenge.  I did not want her to fall into Landon's power if the curse did not dissolve, even if there were people to watch over her.

No one understood better than I how much a master would be able to abuse a thrall if only the desire struck.

I wrenched myself up, tearing my own flesh to escape his sinking teeth and staggered away.

Although I could hardly comprehend the noise, there was an audible gasp from the crowd.  I wheeled to face Landon, my neck burning where the skin beneath my fur had been rent by his canines.  I could see the anger and frustration in his eyes that I had escaped his final blow once more.

He had thought I had given up.

And he had been right, but with life came the ability to reconsider, to repent, to recoup.