Ch 43: Point of Acceptance

We arrived in Austin's town a few minutes later. I pushed myself out of the vehicle and looked around. It was not my first time there, but it had been months since I had last gone north with my family.

Almost before I had a chance to plant my feet on the ground, my father came hurrying over to me. "Elise," he said as he hugged me.

"Hi Dad," I agreed. I forced the smile I could feel under the magic.

"How are you doing?"

"Better, now that things are back to normal."

"You seem shaky," he pointed out. I saw him shoot a glance towards Serge, but at least it did not look terribly hostile.

"Yeah, coming h-here, I think."

"I knew Serge should have hosted," he said, taking my arm. "You're freezing."

I shrugged. That was pretty normal when the curse was assaulting me.

My father led me inside, Serge following behind us. "We've got a half hour before the meeting. There's a pretty comfortable waiting room, we can sit there while you tell me what's been happening."

I nodded and let him lead me to a couch beside a tv set in the corner of the wall. I set my backpack down beside me. I heard Serge talk to the receptionist and then move further into the building.

"I've got something for you," my father told me. He passed me an envelope. I smiled. "Matt?"

"Yeah, Moramay gave it to me to pass on."

I smiled a bit and met his gaze fondly, although the letter was a reminder of how I had promised myself I would talk to Matthias about things I did not know how to deal with. "Will he be c-coming this Saturday?" I asked my father.

"Yes. That boy is really dedicated. He asked to have regular days off when he's never complained before."

"Yeah, Matt is something," I agreed. I definitely did not want to talk about Matthias' dedication with my father when I was just coming around to considering that the extent of his feelings might be more than I had always assumed.

It did not help that the curse kept plaguing me for those thoughts, either. I decided to change the subject.

"So, how's Moramay?"

My father smiled. "She's doing fine. She wanted to come today so that she could join you with Pastor Jensen, but Alexi needed help with a project, I did not ask. Alexi does insist you tell her everything next time you see her, however. As does Moramy. They demanded that I go along and report back. If that's fine with you."

"Yeah, that's f-fine. But you have to take notes," I said, only half kidding.

"You know I'd usually have an assistant do that, but I can make an exception if that's what gets me in the door."

I smiled a bit at him. "And you can't fight with Ser..."

I had not been able to get his whole name out again since that one time during his fight with Landon, but I would get there eventually. The curse scrambled over my skin again.

My father sighed. "I know I lost my temper, sweet heart, and I am sorry. I know it makes it harder for you, but it's hard not to be angry. You and your brother are the most precious people in the world to me, and the fact that he hurt you makes it hard to bear."

"H-he really is sorry, dad."

"I know. I know and I promise I will keep my calm."

The curse was pleased with this pronouncement and lightened on me slightly.