Ch 49: Crossroads

IMPORTANT: STORY RELATED, DON'T SKIP THIS OR YOU'LL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

We're at a crossroads, a difficult choice for Elise.

There are a lot of questions suddenly before her. Could the curse be overcome by bonds of love and affection? That solution seems too much like a fairy tale, but at the same time the curse rages against the idea as much as it loathes the idea of the death of her master. Elise wants to do the opposite of whatever the curse is pushing her to do, or to not do.

She's going to choose one of them and both choices will lead to situations that span the range of the emotional gauntlet. You may have noticed by now, that this story isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

She has affection for two separate men, both of whom have their own faults and redeeming qualities and she has a rather difficult decision to make that will affect the rest of her life.

Serge committed an unforgiveable transgression in the eyes of many, including himself. He's frequently solemn, weighed down by the guilt of his offense and the responsibility of fighting a losing battle.

Still, he's protective and he carries his responsibility with seriousness. He wants to keep his people safe through his leadership. He's trustworthy and attractive and it would not take much to push her intrigue over the edge into something else.

Matthias, on the other hand, has a bit of a temper and he's certainly can be a bit rough around the edges. He's not particularly forgiving, especially where people who harm Elise or threaten people he cares about are concerned.

But he's also brave, loyal, fun, and dedicated to those he cares about. He sees his part in the fight as much of a duty as Serge does. There's no baggage with Matthias. She could fall in love with her best friend as easily as breathing.

She has a choice with no clear answer.

Or rather, you have a choice with no clear answer.

You get to decide, because the story is branching in two different alternate directions from here.

But wait, what if you don't care which one she picks? What if you can't decide because you like (or hate) them both? What if you just hate making decisions and now you're silently cursing me? (After all, you presumably signed up to read a nice linear book when you started reading this and now this I has turned into a Y.)

Then I'll make the decision for you then. (If the calendar date on which you're reading this is even, read Stone. If the calendar date on which you're reading this is odd, read Wind.)

I would (of course) be absolutely delighted if you wanted to read both endings, but I recommend you only read one at a time if you decide to do so. There are a few common chapters with only minute differences, but the bulk of the rest of each part is different with significantly different and not entirely happy endings. I did not just write one story and copy it and plug the other guy's name into it, these stories are quite independent of each other with some common elements.

Now, for those of you who have a clear preference, scroll down.

Should she choose our angered but devoted Matthias? You'll find the story arc where she picks him on my profile. Trifecta: Wind

OR

Should she pick our tortured but responsible Serge? You'll find the story arc where she picks him on my profile. Trifecta: Stone

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading!!!

I love writing so much on its own, but having people actually read my stuff is nearly infinitely better.