vi.

Eleanor

I was beyond excited when I received Gilbert's latest letter saying he was coming home. He specified that he missed Avonlea, but mostly me, and that he decided that it was best if he came home to tend to his farm. He also informed me that he had met a colored man and was bringing him to his farm, which I was more than excited for. 

I had met and befriended very many colored people in New York, I even became best friends with a girl named Lyla. She was beautiful, her dark skin also glistened in the sun whenever we would go on picnics or to the walking park. And she always smelt of cherry's, which wasn't even my favorite part about her. My favorite part was her gorgeous hair, it was long with tight and kinky curls. She showed me how she took care of her hair, she didn't have very many products with her since many people weren't very kind to her race. 

But I made sure I was kind to everyone, no matter their skin tone. And that turned out to be the best decision I've ever made, she was my best friend, my other half, and my sweetheart for a few weeks. 

Yes, we held love for each other. 

But we had to keep it a secret from those around us, liking the opposite sex was frowned upon mostly everywhere. She had already came out to her mother and father, they had taken it well and even told her that they would support her. But when I tried to bring the subject up about the possibility of me liking women to my parents, they shot me down and grounded me. I told Lyla about what had happened, and she tried to get me to come stay with her but my mother forbid it. 

And by that next week, I had moved. 

I tried to write to her and apologize, but she never returned any of my letters. 

So I gave up.

"Eleanor? Eleanor are you alright? You've been staring at the board for more than twenty minutes!" Moody asked as he waved his hand infront of my face. 

I quickly snapped from my gaze and glanced to him, I smiled softly at him and nodded. 

"Yes Moody, thank you." I smiled and turned back to my book. 

It had been almost a week since Gilbert had sent me that letter, and he had yet to write back or come home. I was getting anxious as each day passed, but I knew it would take some time for him to return to Avonlea from Trinidad. 

"Eleanor! Come here!" Anne whispered from the back of the room. 

I glanced back and nodded before grabbing my books and taking them with me. School had already ended but most were staying after for special help with they school work. 

"What's wrong?" I asked as I noticed her and Diana almost jumping with excitement. 

"Look! I bought this from a wandering traveller, he was such a kind soul." Anne swooned slightly before holding out a small bottle full of black liquid. 

"What is it Anne?" my eyes were scanning over the label of the bottle. 

Hair dye.

"It's going to make my ugly red hair into a beautiful raven black! Can you believe it?" Anne squealed as we all started towards our homes. 

"Oh Anne, you're hair is beautiful! I wish you would see it the way I do!" I sighed and grabbed the little black bottle. 

I made sure to read over it a few times while Anne and Diana spoke about what Anne will look like now. 

"Anne this says it can cause severe burns, are you sure you want to do this?" I asked as I gently placed the bottle into her basket. 

"I'm very sure, but thank you for looking out for me Elle!" she grinned.