xiii.

The rumbling sound of an engine made Eleanor jump slightly, Gilbert laughed before turning to look at where her eyes were glued too. 

"What is that?" Anne asked.

"I haven't a clue, but it smells of gas." Eleanor coughed and waved her hand infront of her face. 

The little motorized vehicle grew closer and the children could see that it was a bicycle, with a motor attached to it!

"Woah..it's like a motorbike! They had a few in New York, but they were very rare." Eleanor grinned. 

The person riding the bike had a small but built figure, they were wearing a pair of pantaloons and a loose pirate white button up shirt. Eleanor watched in awe as the woman hopped off the bike and rested it against the school house before grabbing her bag. 

"Hello children!" the woman beamed before trudging over to them, her boots sinking slightly in the mud. 

"Hello there! I'm Anne Shirley Cutherbert of Green Gables, these are my best friends." Anne beamed. 

"What a lively young girl." the woman smiled. 

"You don't know the half of it." Moody grumbled slightly before heading into the school, the rest of the group laughed but soon followed him inside as well. 

Eleanor shared a shrug with Gilbert before the two linked hands and walked towards the schoolhouse. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

After all the students were seated and wondering who this woman was, she cleared her throat. 

The thunk of a world globe made a few people let out a squeak, the large globe rolled across the floor and landed at Billy Andrew's feet. 

"I've just placed the world at your feet." the lady chuckled. 

Billy Andrews raised an eyebrow before picking the globe up and handing it to her, as she turned around the boy turned to his friends and whispered something, making them laugh. 

"Well then...let's get started shall we?" the lady clapped. 

She motioned for everyone to stand up, they hesitantly obliged.

"Let's get these stuffy desks and chairs out of the way, let's push them to the corners of the room. Everyone get their own table and help others if they need!" she yelled and clapped a few times. 

Anne and Eleanor glanced at each other and shrugged before shoving their desks out of the way. They walked over to the middle of the room with the rest of the students, all awkwardly standing as they wait for the teacher to say something. 

"Here, let me help you." Gilbert whispered as he placed his jacket on the ground before reaching his hand out. 

"Why thank you." Eleanor blushed slightly before she gently dropped to her knees and flattened her dress out before scooting over slightly. 

She patted the other half of the jacket, Gilbert grinned and flopped down beside her. The two instantly linked fingers. 

"As you all may not know, I'm Mrs. Stacey, your new teacher! How about we get to know each other a little better?" Stacey asked. 

"This is going to be fun." Anne giggled from across the circle, she was sitting with the girls while Eleanor was on the opposite side with most of the boys. 

"I see we have a full house, how about we go around in a circle and tell our name, and an adverb to describe us that matches the letter of our first name? I'll go first, Mature Muriel." Mrs Stacey smiled and motioned to a boy sitting beside her.