viii.

"Eleanor? Are you awake?" Harvey's small voice echoed through my room. 

"Yes, come in." I state as I slowly shut my trunk up. 

I had just finished packing for the long trip that Anne and Diana had invited me on. I couldn't be more excited, especially since Diana explained how beautiful Josephine's parties were. 

"A boy's here for you, with the name of...Gilber?" Harvey's statement sounded more of a question.

"Send him up." I chuckle and place a soft kiss on Harvey's head, to which he beams at before rushing down the stairs. 

My eyes glance over to the mirror, as much as I knew that Gilbert thought I was the most beautiful girl in the world (he told me of course) I still couldn't help but stare at the way my arms or bust looks in the mirror. 

"Admiring God's work I see." a familiar voice snaps me out of my daze at I turn to the door to see Gilbert smirking at me. 

"Oh shut up." I grumble but have to hide my smile as I look down.

"Don't look so sad to see me my love, I've only come to send you off." he sighs as he slowly walks over to me.

The warmth of his body so close to mine makes me shiver, then the feeling of his large hand lifting my chin up, making my eyes meet his is just enough for me to let out a sigh. 

"You look so beautiful." he breathes out as his eyes move down to my lips then back up to my eyes. 

"Yeah, she sure does. Now get your hands off of her before I call for father." Alvin's voice startles me enough to let out a small shriek and Gilbert to jump almost a foot in the air. 

"Alvin! Do you mind?" I yell as I stomp towards the door and go to shut up, but not before he places a hand on the other side. 

"I was only joking with you sis, no need to get so worked up." Alvin chuckled.

"Ha ha very funny Alvin, one of your best jokes yet! Why don't you go tell Harvey some jokes and leave US alone?" I grumble and shut the door. 

"Leave enough room for Jesus!" Alvin yells before I can hear his footsteps clambering off. 

I roll my eyes and turn back around to see Gilbert staring out of my window, I make my way over and glance down to see Diana, Anne, and Cole all waiting outside. 

"I guess that means it's time for me to go." I sigh as I glance up at Gilbert, who was already looking down at me. 

"Guess so." He smiled as he brought me in for a hug. 

The smell of wood, cologne, and apples filled my nose as my face pressed into his chest. He brought his head down and placed down kisses on my neck as I let out a squeal and gently pushed him away.

"I hate you." I giggle as he spun me around and pushed me towards the door. 

I smiled before pulling the door open and reaching for my trunk, only for him to swat my hand away and pick it up himself. 

"Come on, don't want to keep them waiting." Gilbert smiled and held his arm out for me. 

I smiled and gently placed my hand atop of his as we walked down the stairs and onto my porch, I could hear Anne and Diana start to giggle and whisper as we drew nearer to the cart. 

"Hey guys." Gilbert smiled as he walked over and gently placed my trunk in the back of the horse drawn carriage. 

"Hey Gilbert." the girls giggled before turning away, Cole simply laughed at them and rolled his eyes.