chapter 1

"It is not our enemies who defeat us

"It is not our enemies who defeat us. It is our fear. Do not be afraid of the monsters, make them afraid of you." - Poe

꧁𓁿꧂

BEK AND ZAYA, sisters, walked through the gates and into the stadium where everyone was crowded together. The sisters could see the Gods all positioned on the large pedestal; the three royal family members upon their thrones. 

Zaya was dressed in a beautiful, pale green dress with a silver belt, and Bek was in a beautiful black smoky one with gold linen. Bek's glossy, black, wavy hair went to her knees and Zaya's tangled black hair went down to her waist. It was hot today, so it was probably a bad idea to wear their hair down. 

Bek showed her discomfort by waving her hand near her reddening cheeks.

"Hathor, Goddess of Love!" The spokesperson called loudly, and the beautiful, tanned Goddess bowed in front of the Royal family before going to the side with the other lower Gods and Goddess' nearby.

"He's staring at you," Zaya whispered and gestured to Prince Horus. "He didn't even look at Hathor like most expected. Maybe they had broken off their romantic ties?"

Bek looked up to see Prince Horus staring at her with his pale blue gaze, but when he caught her green ones he looked away quickly.

Bek forgot about it right then and there when a carriage, dragged along in the air by adorable small finches, landed nearby.

"Nephthys! Goddess of Protection!"

The goddess bowed, and Horus nodded his head in respect. As Zaya and Bek were walking towards the front of the crowd, a man tripped and Bek quickly helped him up. "Are you alright, sir?"

The man nodded with a slightly disgruntled look and whispered a small 'yes' before walking away. Bek disregarded the look and Zaya smirked knowingly. "You've been awfully nice to strangers today. Show me your hands," she demanded, holding out her right hand.

Bek smiled sheepishly and revealed her hands to Zaya. On one of the fingers was a beautiful gold ring with a big, red ruby. Zaya slipped it off of her sister's finger and put the jewellery in her pocket.

"What? Gifts for Osiris!" Bek joked with a wide smile.

Zaya shook her head with a smile of her own, her dark eyes sparkling, and skipped ahead. "Hurry up!"

"Thoth! God of Wisdom!" The spokesperson bellowed as the sisters made it to the front of the crowd that had gathered around the Gods.

A handsome man with dark skin came forward with a small trunk adorned with jewellery.

"How beautiful," Zaya said and Bek nodded in agreement, never taking her eyes away from the ceremony.

"Greetings, Thoth." The Queen said, giving the God a gentle smile. "Did you ever imagine that your former student would one day wear the crown of Egypt?"