chapter 6

"If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more

 "If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more. If you look at what you don't have in life, you'll never have enough." -Oprah Winfrey

꧁𓁿꧂

BEK GRUNTED WHEN she woke up, still in her dragon form. The first thing she did when she got up was stretch, pushing her forepaws forward and sticking her rump in the air, listening to the satisfying crack in her back.

Yawning, she took in the scenery properly this time. It was hot, and probably midday. The land around her and Horus was nothing but sand, old debris, and dust.

Horus was sitting at the edge of the platform, his green eye full of sorrow as he scanned the abandoned temple before them. Bek hummed sympathetically and stood next to him, he turned to her. "This used to be a garden like you've never seen."

He caressed her head, she purred at the pleasurable feeling. What happened?

"It was my father's first temple," Horus began. "In his generosity, he opened the grounds to the people, so that the poor can bury their own here without a cost. Set has corrupted his teachings."

Bek laid her head on his lap, imagining the garden, so full of life and so beautiful. A perfect place to bury your loved ones. She then thought of Zaya and almost whined in grief. 

"My father loved this place," Horus continued. "So, Set brought him here to be butchered. His body was cut into fourteen pieces, the heart was never found."

Set salted the earth?

"No. It was my mother's tears before she took her own life. I failed them," Horus said looking at the ground completely overidden with guilt and sadness. Bek sat up and blinked her green eyes slowly, showing concern, care and sympathy for him. I'm sorry...

"Ra told me I was on a journey, and if I reach the end, I may be mighty again and make my parents proud," Horus said, determined. Bek flicked her left ear. How does it end?

"With vengeance..." Horus said spitefully, his blue eye glowing with deep hatred. "It ends with my spear through Set's skull."

Bek hummed and then noticed that his stomach was grumbling. She then realised that, unlike her, he hadn't eaten in days.

She regurgitated up half of the fish's body onto his lap and he looked disgustingly at her. You need to eat, she explained.

"I am not eating that," Horus replied in disgust, but she growled dangerously. Eat. You need your strength, or you won't be able to do anything. Besides, we have nothing else... eat up.

Horus and Bek stared at each other for a moment before Horus finally gave in. "Can you at least cook it?"

She sighed and breathed a low flame on the fish, making it all nice and ready to eat. Horus bit into it and Bek beckoned him to swallow each time.