chapter 7

"If you set your goals ridiculously high and it's a failure, you will fail above everyone else's success

"If you set your goals ridiculously high and it's a failure, you will fail above everyone else's success." -James Cameron

꧁𓁿꧂

BY THE TIME they reached the swamp, Bek woke up and washed her tail of the dirt, dried blood and sand.

Bek yawned and her stomach rumbled. She summoned her wings, startling the Goddess of Love, who had stared in silence for a moment, then continued to talk to Horus.

As Bek dunked her head under the water and grabbed some minnows and frogs, her tail had stopped throbbing with pain and now it just felt wrong. She could not fly anymore. She was like a mini-Horus and that was probably the worst thing she could become!

There was a splash and Bek turned her head to see Hathor being picked up by Horus.

Bek felt a pang in her chest and huffed, not understanding what she was feeling, and then climbed up a tree. 

They didn't seem to notice as they walked that Bek was speeding ahead of them in the trees silently. Bek just wanted to get away from the scene for some reason.

As Bek saw Horus drop Hathor deliberately out of annoyance and start walking away. 

Bek dived down, surprising Hathor by landing in front of her in the water. Hathor then handed her a flask like Horus once had. "Be a dear and fetch me some clean water."

Hathor threw the hipflask at Bek, and it bounced off her chest and into the shallow water. Bek growled and tried to fly off but tipped sideways and landed on her hands and knees in the bushes next to Horus.

Horus sighed and touched her scaled head with his hand. "Thoth might be able to help you with your flight, Bek."

"I sure hope so!"  Bek replied and she walked off.

Hathor caught up and looked at Bek in her eyes. "Go get water for me." 

Horus glared at Hathor as the Goddess continued, "I command you."

Bek stared at the goddess for a moment before glaring and using her tail to trip the goddess over. "A dragon is not a slave!"

Bek spread her wings, flying away before crashing into the water again. Horus looked down. "She is in love..." he muttered.

"With you most likely," Hathor said with a smirk. "I can see it, the way you look at each other." 

Horus turned pink and coughed. "I don't love this mortal-!"

"You do, and you know it!" Hathor cut him off with a smile. "I'm the Goddess of Love. Even a blind man can see your affections for one another."

Hathor walked away and Horus looked at Bek, who was in her half-dragon form, and blushed. They had only met days ago and he always had believed it was impossible to fall in love with someone within a few days, but maybe it was true? Maybe he was in love with Bek?

The forest got thicker the more they walked, and they arrived out the front of a very large tree.

Bek tripped on something and fell face forward in the water. When she sat up, a cod was in her mouth. Hathor laughed and then was silent in disgust when Bek grasped the fish in one hand and took a bite out of it.

Horus pulled the chain that Bek tripped over and a secret door opened. Horus helped Bek back up and the three went inside.

Inside the secret tree building, was shelves upon shelves of scrolls, stacked by many dark-skinned men with the same clothes and face. 

"Is that him... Er-- them?" Bek asked and Horus shook his head. "Of course not."

"Then who are they?" Bek asked in confusion.

"His most trusted servants," Horus answered. "He only trusts himself."

Bek saw a man talking about lettuce and immediately knew it was him, he had an aura about him while the others were like empty husks. Bek felt stupid after realising this. 

Horus began talking to Thoth and the God of Wisdom laughed mockery at his plan.

Suddenly, a loud crash was heard, and Horus had Thoth pinned to the desk. Bek ran past all of the Thoth's with swords and raised her hands. "I'll do it!"

"I thought you were a stray baboon," Thoth said and Bek narrowed her eyes. "I'm a Nightfury, I can do it."

"Your chance of failing is overwhelming," Thoth said, looking at her tail. Saddened, her wings drooped, and she looked down. Bek closed her eyes and shook her head. "I know."

She then faced him, glaring at him. "But when I look at the sphynx and tell it before I die that the God of Wisdom didn't come and help because he would be afraid to get the answer wrong!" she hissed.

Thoth looked disbelievingly at Horus. "This is the cleverest strategy you could devise? Playing on my ego? How vain do you think I am?"

All the Thoth's looked at each other, muttering, and the original Thoth looked defeated. "Yes, well..."

Thoth then grabbed Bek's tail, and she squeaked in surprise as he dragged her to another room. Inside was a forge where many Thoth's were working on a tail wing replacement for her. Bek stared on in surprise.

"I presume we will go when your tail is ready," Thoth said, measuring her tail wing and then giving the measurements and orders to another Thoth clone.

Soon enough, they made Bek a new tail fin, it was as black as her other one, and she could move it by herself without any contraptions to support it. She was forever in debt to Thoth.

Thoth started to leave, ignoring her gratitude. "Let's go," he said to the other three before storming out of his hideout.