Obadiah Slope - (1) 🛐

(Not part of the jealous series)

You and your husband had just arrived in Barchester with the new bishop and his wife. You and Obaidah had married a few months before the Bishop got the job at Barchester and so now here you were sitting with Obadiah in your new room. It was very spacious and larger than the last one you had with him.

"Is this room satisfactory?" he asked

"Very" you said smiling and looking around again. There was a stained glass window so you got up from the bed and went closer to it, running your fingers across it. Obadiah got up also and followed you, leaning over as you touched the glass.

"Beautiful" you murmured.

"It is darling" he said, his face close to yours.

"I thank the Lord that the bishop got this job" you said.

"Thank the Lord indeed" Obadiah repeated. You turned around to face Obadiah as he looked down at you, his eyes flashed. Suddenly his lips were on yours and he was pushing you into the wall next to the stained glass window. Your heart fluttered and you breathed heavily as Obadiah kissed you deeply. After a time he let go and stared at you, his eyes close to yours, your noses almost touching. "My sweet innocent angel" he murmured. "I love you so"

"I love you too Obadiah" you murmured, holding onto his waistcoat, keeping him close to yourself.

The first Sunday arrived and your husband was preaching. You knew his preaching was unorthodox. His views were low church, being against music and paintings in the church, seeing them as distractions to the gospel. You enjoyed these things but understood Obadiah's opinion and listened to him as he talked on the subject, you noticed when he did his eyes lit up. You put that out of your mind as you walked into the church and saw the large congregation starting to move towards the pews. You followed the crowd and took a seat next to two women.

"Good morning" you said with a smile.

"Good morning" the two said in reply. "Are you new to Barchester?" one asked.

"I am" you said with a smile. "I am Mrs (y/n) Slope"

"The Bishops Chaplin's wife?" one asked.

"I am yes" you answered.

"Well I am Mrs Susan Grantly and this is Ms Eloner Bold" she said.

"It is very good to meet you, Ms Grantly, Ms Bold" you said

"It's a pleasure" they said.

"Have you met my husband?" you asked.

"We have not" Elenor said. "But I am sure we will have the pleasure too sooner or later"

There was a small silence until you started to talk again. "I have heard that the composer Mr Harding works at this parish" you said. "I love this music"

"Do you?" Elenor asked.

"He is our father" Susan said

"How wonderful" you said, your eyes twinkling in delight. "If I do not get to meet him after the service please send my warmest regards"

"We shall" Susan said, nodding in approval.

The church hushed as the service started. You were treated to some of Mr Harding's music then your husband stood to preach. He totally slagged off Mr Harding's music and put his low church views to the full. You were embarrassed, this would ruin your relationship with everyone in the parish now. You sang a few more hymns, communion was given out and then the final blessing. You had a slight bone to pick with your husband and you got sent a look by Susan and Elenor. You had very little in life, being a woman and having a job, so you built happy relations and created great friends, however, this was not the finest of start.